Truck Wandering

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by marshmann1979, Jan 27, 2018.

1. marshmann1979

marshmann1979 Bobtail Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Ive searched through the post and have seen that alignment, gearbox, kingpin, tire inflation and ujoint issues will cause truck steering problems.
    The only thing different with my problem is the longer i drive the truck throughout the day the worse it gets.
    Driving an 2004 petpeterbilt hauling a crib trailer for wood. The first load of the day the truck handles ok, but as the day goes on the worse it gets. The only way to describe it is the trailer is driving the truck. It takes everything i have to keep it between the lines and it feels like the truck is hovering. So, what would cause it to get worse as the day goes on, is something heating up the longer i drive and causing the problem to intensify like the wheel bearing. I stop a couple times throughout the day trying to find something that is obvous. Starting to drive me crazy. Is really scary when the roads are snow covered. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Grease on the 5th wheel? Have you checked all of the components you mentioned for wear/ broken/loose parts? Jack up the front end and inspect each item. If you do not feel confident in driving it, I would recommend taking it to a shop to get them to take a look at it. Shouldnt take too long for a competent shop to find what is wrong.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  4. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    5th wheel greased up good or using a slip disc?

BoxCarKidd and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I am with pushbroom professional help. It is just steering.
    What is the P/S pump GPM and pressure when hot? Suspect the steering box but those are expensive parts to replace and hope.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  6. marshmann1979

Jul 19, 2017
    Components I mentioned have been checked by one of the other drivers who is an old school mechanic. Also Going be checking all parts i mentioned Monday myself. 5th wheel is greased. Gear box does have some play, owner said he ordered a new one.

Gauge for PS pump does not work.

How quick will tires show unusual wear if kingpins are bad?

7. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    With the wandering condition you have, a king pin would likely be too tight from lack of grease or frozen, not loose. It would take alot of play in a king pin and you would likely already have tire wear way before noticeble wander IMO. Knock off the tie rod and drag link and make sure the knuckles flop freely to eliminate a frozen king pin if you have already checked them for play.

The gauge being referred to is a test tool to hook up and measure the pressure and flow of hydrauics to and through the pump and the steering gear.

It sounds as though you may be on the right track with the steering gear play. Make sure you get a new gear or at least a quality reman from a reputable rebuilder. TRW gears always loosen at the Pitman arm to shaft splines and will usually show rust when loose. Check all the steering shaft u joints too and don't forget the one inside.

Justrucking2 Thanks this.
  8. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    I'm willing to bet a lot of money that the bushings on the back side of your leaf springs are shot which is allowing your axle to walk from side to side. To check, get a pry bar and stick between the leaf spring and frame and see if there is any play.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  9. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    How will a mechanical problem get worse the longer you drive the truck each day?
    A pump or steering sector could change as the fluid heats up. That is my thanking.

10. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    I agree, a worn sector shaft and internal bushings inside the steering gearbox are giving a loose steering sensation which intensifies as the fluid and internal parts get hot.

A TRW gearbox with a worn sector shaft and bushings will cause the Pittman arm shaft to have excessive play which would give you really loose steering.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  11. marshmann1979

Jul 19, 2017
    I believe you are correct bonnebone. Ive checked everything else. Thanks for all the input fellas.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.