Trucker killed after driving into trailer that became detached from another semi

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by chico9696, Jan 21, 2018.

1. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Did you put on clean shorts? Lord knows I would have needed to.

NavigatorWife and mjd4277 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    I still have the shudders from it...
    Dropping a trailer with a 40,000 pound payload isn’t one of those company approved past times..
    That was my “holy $#!+” moment for the month!:eek:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    IluvCATS, NavigatorWife and 48Packard Thank this.
  4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    We see this a lot at the Fargo terminal in winters. On the coldest days, the "dirty grease" is so cold it doesn't allow for the normal free-movement of the locking components to move completely around the pin. Usually you can take a sledge or shop hammer and a length of 2 inch pipe and force the release arm in, and the mechanism will then wrap around fully.

48Packard and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  5. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    ....BUT....ya gotta check it! That key step seems to be missed a lot these days. And I’d be willing to bet that given the state of “training” nowadays, most newer drivers have zero idea what cold can do do a fifth wheels operation.

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  6. Karenhardy22

Karenhardy22 Bobtail Member

Mar 30, 2022
    Thank you for the kind words. I wish the law should put some kind of emergency kit or flare lights to keep inside the truck for emergencies. My daughter was only 2 years old and this is his first child and it devastated us and starting over is tough for us and being a single mom again is the toughest part and how do you explain to a two old about his death. Cherish the moments and hang on the loves one, you never know what tomorrow brings. Be sure you make a will for your family. I had nothing when my daughter and I had to moved to apartment with a king size bed, TV and clothes and no money in the bank. Very sad story and God is always with us.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.