Trucker on Facebook at time of deadly Arizona crash, records show

Discussion in 'Trucking Accidents' started by fuzzeymateo, Oct 31, 2013.

1. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    I've spoken too extensive on this issue already. I hope you read (or backtrack to read) the content in my posts.
    But let me quickly respond as to why. When the LEO arrives at the scene, he often sees it's highly likely that emergency personnel or victims will soon occupy that lane of traffic.
    So, IMEO, as priority #1, he has to definitely safeguard that lane of traffic.
    The trooper was actually set-up quite a distance before the scene. Take a much closer look at the video.
    The video is somewhat fooling & makes it appear he is MUCH closer to the scene, than he actually was. All video lenses act this way.

To give you a close estimate of the distance between the trooper's car and the first vehicle (the deceased trooper's car) on the shoulder it is approx 200 feet.
    How do I get this? Look at the video. There is a "stopwatch timer", the 0 mark being impact with the blocking trooper's car.
    The trucker then proceeds very close to 2.0 seconds even before striking the vehicle on the shoulder.
    Trucker was reportedly at 67 mph, which equates to 98.26 feet per second. 98.26 fps X 2.0 seconds = 196.5 total feet. Safe to say 180' minimum.
    (BTW, there was no meaningful slowing of the truck during the duration of this distance, enough to alter that figure in any significant way).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    Eaton18 and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowblind

snowblind Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    conover nc
    so this is a surprise you know how many drivers i go by look over and computer is on open to there right,what are they watching,little story,in sept im heading east out of Amarillo on 40,passing truck, they are weaving a bit so i look over to see whats going on, this female driver is eating out of bowel watching her comp which is on dash in front of her going down road.that's sad

4. evd

evd Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Reading PA
    "jre0013 18 hours ago
    The car was in the lane because emergency personnel requested the police to shutdown the lane to transport and injured person from the accident to which they were responding.
    No one was in the police car that he struck first. The officer killed was in the car parked on the shoulder. The police officer from the car parked in the lane can be seen trying to get the driver's attention, and failing, moves off of the shoulder. "

don't know if true .

5. Boy Howdey

Boy Howdey Medium Load Member

May 22, 2013
    100% correct driver. Well said.

joseph1135 Thanks this.
  6. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee

That's what I'm saying, even 200' is too close to the scene. I say he should have parked it between 500 and 1000 feet away if he had to block the right lane at all. Even if it meant farther to walk back to the action.

Driver is 100% responsible for his part. Highway Patrol is 100% responsible for car placement.

Just because responders have the best intentions doesn't make them infallible.

Scott101 Thanks this.
  7. KW Cajun

KW Cajun Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Copperhead Road
    Semi Crazy,
    Would the trooper be blameless if he had parked 1000' back, and had vehicles go around him,
    then have ample time to cut back into the right lane, thus defeating the purpose? (and possibly striking a emergency crewmember)
    Critics would claim he parked "too far back" then, and was to blame. Seems he can't win, with all people.

When you breakdown at night, do you place your reflective triangles 500' - 1000' back? Same thing. Just sayin'...

What many are trying to do here is create a "cure" for this tragedy, but it opens up significant safety risks in other ways.
    Bottom line is, the trucker didn't look up, at the roadway, for a minimum of 10 full seconds. That's roughly 1000 feet!!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
    Boy Howdey Thanks this.
  8. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    Never said anything about any beefs... Your on another page.....Next....

9. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011

Exactly driver!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But yet the MEDIA is blowing it out of proportion... THANKS

10. Boy Howdey

May 22, 2013
    Are they? I police officer died because of some idiot pervert behind the wheel. This is a big deal.

joseph1135 and KW Cajun Thank this.
  11. Boy Howdey

May 22, 2013
    Its really sickening how many here are trying to shift some blame to the officer. He was very simply doing his job by securing the scene.

The pervert behind the wheel knew what he was doing was wrong, that is why he purposely tried to hide his actions with his wallet on the Dash cam. It was clear day, no visibility issues. A long straight stretch of hyw. The patrol car had it's lights on and flashing. There was zero excuse for the pervert not to see the patrol car.

joseph1135, KW Cajun and DoneYourWay Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.