Trucker protest October 3-8, Washington D.C.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mitmaks, Sep 19, 2017.

1. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    A good ol' fashioned truckers protest,,,by gar, that takes me back,,,( look at all the cabovers) notice the blooper, it's a Freightliner, not a Pete.

crb Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    If you want to change something, then use the political process as a group.

BUT in our case, we are fractured, not coherent in form or function for any message.

The guys who have not been around more than 10 years don't need to answer this but honestly in say 20, 30 or 40 years of driving, how many times have you heard any group of truckers sitting at the lunch counter agreeing on anything?

What is the most important issue?

It isn't some regulation but how we are controlled and regulated, how states can tell us one thing, the feds another and there is no latitude to make decisions.

This has nothing to do with elogs but more of an issue is who is in control of the regulation and why.

JReding, Orangees, A21CAV and 2 others Thank this.
  4. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Hey now, I hardly ever pee on the carpet anymore.,....

5. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    It will never happen. We are are too loosely, if at all, organized. One person protests, the other person grabs their load. I was in a union, and while I felt their demands were silly, at least all the drivers were in the same gear.

Canned Spam and Big_D409 Thank this.
  6. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    That was a good one

jamespmack and dngrous_dime Thank this.
  7. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Nothing is going to change in the Transportation Industry, that will make drivers happy. I believe with all my heart and soul that if enough drivers got together, we could change this industry but no one really wants to do anything except talk about it, give advice on what could be done or how to do it but never anyone really doing anything. Now that is the truth my friends, and that sucks. The majority of drivers do not like all the regulation and it is not because they want to driver more miles each and every week either. Protest's are constitutional and can get things accomplished if done right and if covered by the News Media right. Two things that are just tough to get done.... So sad that we live in America, where we are supposed to be free but the Wolves continue to take and take while the Sheep allow it to happen. The SheepDogs are ready for whatever but, not enough of us around to make a dent, unless we can get the Sheep on board,,,,who's with me???? Just had to add that.... God Bless

8. 59nang

59nang Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2017
    What would happen if during the demonstration the drivers simply pointed out to the carriers that if there were no HOS/elogs the trucks (fixed cost) could run harder & thus the payback to the carriers (at least from company drivers) would be faster? I'm new to this & I don't understand - drivers want more miles (at least from most of what I read they do) & carriers don't, or shouldn't, want their expensive equipment sitting for 13 hours a day. Who lobbied for & won HOS constraints?

9. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
    There is one thing those 10-20-30 year veteran truckers agree on, and that's that they never seem to take responsibility for what happened to the trucking industry in their time, but they always seem to lay it on the rookies for what's occuring today.

So who's fault is it really? Where was any coherent form or group then?
    We also know OOIDA is useless and only act within the parameters of politics as usual. They couldn't beat eld but at least they got us off the 70/8 hr rule.

10. crb

crb Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2009
    USA
    I will join the protest before dinner on oct 6 and continue through the 8th. It's called I'll be at home for my regular home time.

Correction I might leave early on the 8th. I have plans on 13 I wanna make sure I make.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.