Trucker Tax Tips & Deductions

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by WiseOne, Apr 2, 2007.

1. 3milebaywaker

3milebaywaker Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    I tried to start filing mine today with turbo tax deluxe, is there some new stipulation with the IRS where we can only claim items that are going to last only less than a year?

Ive been through the job related expenses section several times, even started the return a second time but if its an item expected to last longer than a year it's trying to make me list it as an asset with a section 179. I am stumped and ready to throw this software in the trash, it is not very friendly nor is turbo tax help.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    I failed as a psychic.

Please state more about the asset, like what, how much, date purchased.

4. 3milebaywaker

3milebaywaker Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2013
    Syracuse, NY
    Sorry.... i screwed around with it a little more and it goes so far into depth on items expected to last more than 1 yr it asks for percentage use for business vs pleasure..

5. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    If in doubt, deduct it. If the IRS come calling you can always take it off. As an S Corp I wouldn't use any kind of tax software. You need specialized guidance on taxes. Especially when you have so many nuances of deductions. It can get complicated.

6. Lucar

Lucar Road Train Member

Aug 22, 2012
    Texas
    can down payment for the truck and monthly payments be deducted ?

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    No.

The purchase of the truck is classified as an asset and subject to depreciation. The interest part of the payment is deductible.

8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    IRS now has a weapon for this.

They assess an accuracy penalty of 20%.

9. Green-eyed Lady

Green-eyed Lady Light Load Member

Jan 15, 2014
    Dallas TX
    Thank you all for contributing to this thread with your Q & A.
    Roadmedic,
    Good Luck on your appeal. It's really sad when even the auditors don't know the law.
    I guess we need an emergency fund for any possible appeals, huh?

10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

I am just glad that my tax man is not charging much and is in the family.:biggrin_25514:

My wife told me to take it as far as I want.

Green-eyed Lady Thanks this.
  11. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    That's why I don't use tax software. I'm not all that interested in discussing this topic because if I want to ask a Q about taxes, why would I ask a trucker?
    I let my accountant do it all. That's what I pay him for. FYI he's very good at what he does and according to him, he has a special "gift" to be able to analyze my tax returns so the chances of me being audited are slim.
    But I certainly don't believe the claim that there's a 20% penalty for wrongly assuming a deduct.
    Oh so if you don't deduct something that is valid, does the IRS come back to you and say " mr so and so, you forgot to deduct this expense, so out of the kindness of our hearts, we will let you re-file" duh!! Sure they will. I mean they're sooooooo honest aren't they. No way would they want us to overpay!!!
    Tell you what, Bro, you do it your way and I'll stick to mine.
    Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.