Trucker Tax Tips & Deductions

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by WiseOne, Apr 2, 2007.

1. SheepDog

SheepDog Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    That is what I thought, thanks for the reply...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    Come on all you O/O's or I/C's... you should all be able to answer my questions. Thanks in advance... BTW,,question #3 has been answered...

4. Leon B

Leon B Bobtail Member

Feb 5, 2015
    W-2 is filed on personal side of taxes and your I/C or 1099 with all expenses goes on your business sch. C - profit/loss sheet.
    You will need turbo tax (Personal & Small Business) to file a sch. C and all other business related filings.

SheepDog Thanks this.
  5. Landstar412709

Landstar412709 Bobtail Member

Apr 8, 2015
    New Marshfield,Ohio
    Here are just a few deductions you don't hear on here much. You can claim your satellite radio bill because if its traffic and weather channels, Satellite dish because of the "weather channel", and you can also claim anything you incur with a dog. the dog is considered your alarm system.

shoe128 and SheepDog Thank this.
  6. Jeff1495

Jeff1495 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2014
    I totally agree with what SandDollar wrote. I keep all of my own records and at the end of the year take my records to a bookkeeping service and they prepare my taxes. It has worked out great for me but I do keep detailed records.

7. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    New question.....I think because I'm too sorry to look at 35 pages of answers:

I put together a spreadsheet for myself and at the first of the year and at the end of the year I have miles run in both years. Do I claim the miles paid or the miles for the week, or the miles paid for the year. A different way of putting it, the last week of the year had 2 days of the new year on it. Do I only count the compensation that was earned during the year, or the compensation that was paid during the year, (leave off the last 2 days and claim them next year)?
    If anyone can sort out this convoluted question, I'd appreciate a response. Thanks

8. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Actually, a better way of asking is, if I run a load in December 2015 but get paid for it in 2016, when do I claim it?

9. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    If you're an O/O paid on 1099 can you deduct your health insurance?

SheepDog Thanks this.
  10. 11 B

11 B Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2016
    I have just a few questions. Im fixing to finance a truck and I have a company Im planning on lease to. I won't have my own authority just yet but soon enough. But I guess my question is if I were to lease on to a company without my own authority would I need to take out any % a week for taxes, Ive heard a few different scenarios like (hold back 28-30% a week) or dont worry about unless you have your own authority. And if any one knows a good CPA in JAX FL area thatd be great. thanks guys

11. SheepDog

Nov 30, 2008
    Sand Lake, MI
    I used Turbo Tax last year,,,,but had 6 months of W-2 and 6 months of 1099 This year will be all 1099....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.