Trucker wages...decreasing as time goes by.

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by snowlauncher, Aug 1, 2021.

1. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    That will depend on the size of increase. Man can't do extra for not much more pay, just my feelings on it.

Lonesome Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Will we need to use Google translate to read the posts? Lol:rolleyes::confused:

Team818 Thanks this.
  4. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Hellz yeah......Black Smoke Matterz dudez

5. sailfish27

sailfish27 Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2021
    Depends how many hours a week your talking about. If it's 70 hrs/wk I can't think of a single job you wouldn't make that kind of money. For the record my cdl did require formal training.

6. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    In 1954-55., as I recall a IH, L195 truck could be bought for a little over $9,000.00.
    Add 5th wheel, horns, radio, tanks, etc total to put on road, be about $10,500.00.
    A very common typical day cab for its day. By the way, we hauled cattle all over for $.0.35
    (35 cents) per mile. Or anything else we stuck in there.. Feed mills, farm tractors, ear corn,
    sacked seed, etc.

lynchy and RockinChair Thank this.
  7. kylefitzy

kylefitzy Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2007
    Kansas city,Mo
    You may have went to school for CDL training but as of now it’s not REQUIRED to get a CDL in the USA.

To make $110k in an hourly occupation working 70 hours a week every week of the year with time and a half after 40 would require $25 an hour. Of course most places don’t work people 3600 hours a year.

At a 40 hour work week your looking at almost $53 an hour to hit $110,000 per year.

I also rarely bump my 70. I’ve worked roughly 1469 (roughly 52 per week) hours through July grossing $68, 314 which works out to $46 per hour with no overtime. Let’s no forget I’m not working 100 stories above the ground or in a dangerous mine. Im sitting on my ### holding a wheel for most of that time.

I realize I’m very fortunate that I work for a company that pays well and I’ve worked my way into the top 10% of my company. As a high school graduate with no formal training I don’t think I could make more doing anything else.

dwells40, Crusader66, Lonesome and 2 others Thank this.
  8. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    1989 I was earning $16.50 per hour from departure to return which could hit 90 hours in a week, plus a tax free allowance of $1.25 per hour.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  9. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    I think OTR drivers should make 100k+ however has any job kept up with inflation since the 70’s or 80’s? I highly doubt it.

10. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    If you start paying run of the mill OTR drivers that kind of money, what would the cost of goods cap out at?
    The lack of thought when people start demanding more money for what they do is mind boggling.

Everyone seems to want more money. They think they are actually worth more and entitled to more money.
    But every increase in wages simply means an increase of cost for everything else.
    It all balances out in the end, and the low wage stays the low wage with nothing to really show for it.

If a person wants/needs more money, it is simple.
    Get a better education to get into something that pays more.
    That is the whole point of starter jobs, apprenticeships and higher education.
    Stepping stones to a better life; with the person doing the work behind the advancement, instead of expecting something being handed to them for nothing.

Lonesome and RockinChair Thank this.
  11. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
    Im just thinking that if government assistance pays 20/hr then shouldnt someone who works 70 hrs per week and is away from their family make 100k?

I have a 4 yr old and if I hadnt saw him grow every step of the way then I better be making enough to retire early and spend the rest of my life with him whenever i want to.

These times are priceless so shouldn’t these people working their butts off and sacrificing their families at least be paid for it?
    What are people supposed to do? Go to college to learn nothing and get 100k+ in debt so they can hope for a better job?

Not to mention what healthcare costs if you make over 65k. What about childcare? Your wife can’t work or that’s hundreds more per week to put out. It’s crazy.

Edit: and I’m an employer! I want rates high enough to sustain payment to my people at these levels. Everyone is making 75k or higher but only 1 of 10 is making 100k. We gotta do better.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.