Truckers, Beware — CA Wants You Gone

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by bigjoel, Nov 12, 2019.

1. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    ...Probably to chase some Hollywood fueled myth, only to find that it doesn’t exist, and they sure don’t want to move back home and have to live under “that” set of rules again.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Well......this thread is good. I guess the law wants to get rid of the glorified company driver. For drivers who take their trucks to a company and lease on it's a slippery slope. I don't really know what to make of that. Then I had a thought: drivers that have their own truck but lease on to a company have to pay a certain amount of every load to the company. Is that a loophole that doesn't make them a full blown owner operator? They don't exactly run their own show totally. Each driver still has to follow company guidelines and such, so in a way California is on to something here.

loudtom and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  4. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Go buy a truck and then tell me if you feel like you’re an employee when you’re leased to a carrier. I know I don’t. I responsible for my truck and all expenses and I’m responsible for all of my taxes.

Tug Toy, stillwurkin and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  5. TankerP

TankerP Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Holding the steering wheel
    Exactly. You could be the most beautiful girl in your home town with looks that could tame a dragon but working at a Speedway store in Indiana wont get you far. The kids that you see here in West Hollywood look like they were the prom queens and the football stars of middle america. They look like they stepped out of an Abercrombie & Fitch catalog. Unfortunately the whole world is here looking for the same thing. My point is that they come here looking for their dream instead of staying at home where there is none.

Rideandrepair and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  6. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    How much of your revenue do you get to keep?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  7. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    73% of the line haul, 100% of fuel surcharge and any detention pay. Why?

8. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    And to point out just how stupid AB5 is...the guy I pull for isn’t the guy that has the authority I use. The guy with the authority has no idea what I do during the week and has zero say in how I’m dispatched, yet under AB5 (if similar regulations spread across the US) I would be considered his employee. So I would end up spending extra money on insurance and cutting into my profit for the first couple years just to get my own authority so I can carry on and keep doing exactly what I’m currently doing.

9. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, Hell will freeze over before I’ll try to give the impression of anything remotely intelligent coming out of the state of California because of have no intention of doing so, but I believe that’s the basis for @bryan21384 ’s argument.

You’re totally responsible for the operating expenses of the truck, yet you don’t get to keep all the profits, and you still have to answer to them or they’ll find a way to cut you loose.

Sneakerfix and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  10. Long FLD

Mar 4, 2015
    If I got my own authority I would still be able to pull for the same percentages, pulling the same trailer I am right now (that doesn’t belong to me), hauling the exact same product. That’s the point I was trying to make, I’m running a friends authority because it’s a way for me to save money, plus his wife takes care of licensing, IFTA, and gets my mail. It’s asinine to take away a business model that has been around since the beginning of operating authority.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  11. bryan21384

bryan21384 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Memphis, TN
    Yes that's exactly what I saying. If you have to buy the fuel, take care of repairs, etc, why does the company get any of the revenue?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.