Trucking business without me as the driver

Discussion in 'Trucking Industry Regulations' started by MVTRUCKING, May 14, 2024.

1. MVTRUCKING

MVTRUCKING Bobtail Member

May 14, 2024
    My friend and I are both young engineers but not by any means in the transportation or logistic fields. However, we are thinking of opening up our trucking business by buying a truck in cash and hiring a driver along with a dispatcher and slowly growing our business. Can someone here help us how we can do this without having a CDL and an insurance? What should be our first steps and what are some issues that we may face as we do this? Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    This particular forum doesn't allow the use of curse words, If it did I would use a whole bunch of them before and after the word NO....

It's hard enough to make money in this business if you...
    #1 know how to drive
    #2 know how to dispatch yourself
    #3 know how to fix a truck
    #4 know anything about trucking at all

If you don't know any of those things it's gonna be a hard road. a good way to lose money and a friend.

Good drivers are hard to find. How are you going to attract good drivers?

4. MVTRUCKING

May 14, 2024
    We do have a trucker friend who is going to be consulting us. He is out of the business for medical reasons but was in the business for a while and made some money. Even though we are not drivers and have not been in this business, we are not going to jump into this without finding the driver, the load, and the truck first.
    Honestly that is why I am here to gain some experience from people in this forum so bear with me :)

wis bang and TX2Day Thank this.
  5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Sounds like a solid plan so long as the 4 of you don't want to make any money.

6. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    Perhap a resturant franchise would be a safer plan

7. MVTRUCKING

May 14, 2024
    The numbers I have been seeing on the internet scream this is a good investment. Unless you can share something more realistic with me. We are thinking of buying a freightliner with 300k mileage and a flatbed both in cash and we have the funds.

8. MVTRUCKING

May 14, 2024
    Don't think you can go about that with<100 grand. You might however afford a good truck and risk it. How else can you make money these days without risking it.

9. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    If its such a great investment then why isn't everyone doing it?

With what that truck makes you will be lucky to be able to pay the driver and the truck expenses. Trying to pay a dispatcher on top of that would be nuts. You and your partner won't see one thin dime out of this.

$100k isn't near enough to finance this operation either. Gonna be 90 days of expenses piled up until the money starts rolling in. That ain't gonna cover the cost of the truck, 2 salaries, fuel, maintenance and insurance. You have one breakdown in the first couple months and you'll be ####ed.

Not to mention its going to be very hard to convince a decent driver to come on-board. Anyone with a good head on their shoulders would stay well clear of this. Too much risk and not much job security IMO.

wis bang, TX2Day, wifi_guru and 4 others Thank this.
  10. MVTRUCKING

May 14, 2024
    Again, this is an investment. No one is quitting their day jobs. We both work for a good company and are not thinking about quitting. I understand the pessimism but I would need more convincing to not do it.

11. AModelCat

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Well I wish you luck. You're going to need a ton of it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.