Trucking Company Considering Dash Cams - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by LogisticsSafety, Apr 10, 2024.

1. LogisticsSafety

LogisticsSafety Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2022
    Good morning folks. My company is in the process of considering dash cams for our fleet of 500 trucks. Currently, our owner is mostly against them; however, he has recently asked me to do some pricing on forward-facing only. Our current telematics/GPS company sells both forward-facing and dual-facing. They made a pretty good argument for dual-facing (only $10 more per month). I would truly appreciate any feedback from you guys and gals out there doing the job daily what you think about both types of cameras, especially if you have firsthand experience with them. Appreciate it!

viper822004 and H827OUT Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    If i were a company driver and that was on the table, id be brushing up my resume and leaving. Forward is fine... ish for basically dashcam for insurance and proof reasons, driver facing is a company trying to make it more obvious that the driver is a worthless part of their operation and so they can fire drivers for whatever reason they feel like. (Same can be said for forward facing to slightly lesser extent)

When you add on telematics and ai driven reporting, I will not put up with a computer telling an office worker that can fire me that i was tired because I braked too hard on tuesday at 3 am and swerved a little 30 minutes later, when that was me avoiding a drunk driver and then avoiding a massive pothole

4. LogisticsSafety

LogisticsSafety Bobtail Member

Oct 10, 2022
    A couple of things here. We are NOT looking to terminate drivers. At all. Company CSA scores have three categories in intervention - all due to drivers' actions: Speeding, bypassing scale houses, not wearing seat belts, handheld devices, hours of service violations (simple mistakes like failing to tell a DOT officer they are within a 150 air mile radius and providing paperwork), crashes that "do not qualify for the FMCSA crash preventability program." We already have the telematics system in our trucks and get HUNDREDS of harsh events daily. My inbox is flooded with them. I am not concerned with every single "harsh event" that comes in. The ones that go along with a crash, or a ticket, or a bad DOT inspection, then yes, I would like to see what the driver was doing prior to those events. My intent (and my team here in safety) is to coach our drivers and prevent these things from happening. I'm tired of driver turnover and want to keep guys for the long haul. You answered your own "problem" with cameras installed. If you swerve to miss a drunk driver, that will be recorded on the camera. As will swerving to miss a pothole.

viper822004 Thanks this.
  5. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    I as a driver dont mind forward facing cams.
    I have my own anyway, so one more is good

6. Eddiec

Eddiec Road Train Member

Feb 2, 2015
    I would not operate a CMV without a forward facing camera. If i own it, it will have camera's on all 4 sides and in the trailer as well!

viper822004 and Magoo1968 Thank this.
  7. Magoo1968

Magoo1968 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2021
    St Malo mb
    I was on the fence about forward facing dash cam at first but once boss set more reasonable parameters it became a non issue. At first you needed to count to 5 or so at stop signs or it would flag a stop sign violation. Also when passing traffic on a 4 lane it tagged you for tailgating when you were 3 or 4 truck lengths back of vehicle in front. These were mainly issues in heavy traffic. Driver facing boss was told by almost every driver they would give notice on the spot . He didn’t consider driver facing and only got forward for the insurance savings at the time . Most our drivers have been here 10 to 20 years .

Lite bug Thanks this.
  8. drivingmissdaisy

drivingmissdaisy Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2019
    I don't mind forward facing. Heck, I bought two with points from Loves about 3 years ago. One caught the guy hitting my truck and running, allowing us to catch him and issue him a criminal citation for hit and run, the other caught someone hitting my personal vehicle and running. Again, reported to the police and caught him a short time later.

Oh yea, on a side note, it allowed me to view who took the crap out of my truck because the guy who did it turned it around to face him when he was removing it from the windshield. It was one of the few things in my truck that I actually got back after I was shot.

9. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    I can’t believe you don’t already have forward facing dash cams .

I can’t believe anyone doesn’t already have their own dash cam

even if the company has a dash cam I’d want my own so I can see it whenever I want .

10. PirateBox

PirateBox Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2018
    Why do you ask this?
    You know perfectly well that no one wants facing cameras at work.
    Or you want a face camera in your office table. (you can't eat, you can't make phone calls, you can't move from your sit for more than 2 times during job time, everything you say will be recorded and "Anything you say can and will be used against you")
    "You don't need a driver, you need a driving lawyer."

Your company.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  11. Kenworth6969

Kenworth6969 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2020
    No need for driver facing cameras.

Just from forward facing you can see if driver responds to a different event or crash correctly of not.

Dont need some lawyer to come up and say hey we saw driver crewing gum while driving, that's distracted driving!

Magoo1968 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.