Trucking FREEZE???

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Gamechangerzz, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You'll do ok. Just pay attention and take advice with a smile. After all, you'll enjoy the new career after the trainer is gone. So just deal with it as best you can without hurting your new career. Once you're on your own, you'll love the solitude of the road. Your buddies back home will be dealing with punching time-clocks and listening to the same old dry jokes in the breakroom. You'll be seeing the open road and a new state or city every day.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Reefer drivers make a lot more money than dry van drivers.

4. Gamechangerzz

Gamechangerzz Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2022
    Don’t they run harder? Like unbalanced days?

5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Doesn't matter what trailer you pull, the Hours-of Service is the same.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Where do you want to be in 3 years as a professional driver?

Ask yourself that first. Then figure the best way to go about it.

If I were a younger guy I'd explore the flatbed world. There's a lot to learn there.

I do dry van. Make a very good living. I hate refer. But never did refer as an O/O. Refer as a new driver, you really need to like pain.

Do not jump around, job hop during your first year. You'll cripple your career right from the jump.

Wherever you go, dig in for that first year, then the door to a much better future in trucking SWINGS wide open.

The two last places I'd recommend to my worst enemy are CRST or Western Express.

7. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    Schneider definitely seems to have slowed down hiring. I still see some new recruits at the OC every week, but the number of job postings in my area has gone from 50+ to 10, and several of those are some of the less desirable accounts.

8. JoeTruck

JoeTruck Heavy Load Member

Mar 13, 2015
    LOWER 48
    Go with Prime, good equipment and if you don't like reefer after six months you can switch to tanker or flatbed.
    Dave is correct, stay with first company far a year. With three years experience a CLEAN license you can go where the money is.
    Walmart with 30 months experience offers 110 000 first year and they have a great retirement.

9. Gamechangerzz

Gamechangerzz Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2022
    I’m 30 with no kids or wife, single guy, you know? So I figured I could go OTR.

10. FormerDrivingInstructor

FormerDrivingInstructor Bobtail Member

Aug 5, 2022
    @Moose1958 Having taught driver training in autos for 21 years, I can concur. I tried for most of those years to teach people to see and feel so they can operate the car smoothly, without swerving or panic braking. It's just nearly impossible to develop vision, decision making, and feel in only 6 hours in a car. For a semi it would take years to develop I would think.

11. DRTDEVL

DRTDEVL Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Austin, MN
    You'd recommend CR England over those?o_O

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.