True weight savings with super singles

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by istumped, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Jetsr6

Jetsr6 Light Load Member

May 20, 2011
    Mechanicsville, VA
    The xdn2 are not a good tire for fuel mileage but offer weight savings and better traction off road and deeper snow.
    The energy D would be the fuel mileage tire.
    Around 3/10 's better.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    I know, Bean. All situations are not created equal, and if it's safe enough, I'm limping.

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    As a company driver.. thats exactly what you should do. Under a perfect world where Cinderella gets the prince.. thats what should be done.

As an owner operator in the real world.. I can attest first hand.... we limp it to the closest shop... or in some cases...we mount that spare ourselves.

Hurst

gokiddogo, MJ1657 and Starboyjim Thank this.
  5. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Just passing along my experience and facts. Thats all. I have no opinions on whats better or worse.

Personally I prefer duals and will always run duals on my trucks. I've never had a flat with a SS tire.. but I wouldnt want to experience what its like or risk rim damage depending on the situation. This is just my personal preference.

Hurst

6. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    Even some of us company drivers would limp it along if at all possible.

The more the boss makes the more I make.

KB3MMX and Hurst Thank this.
  7. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    I stand corrected. I too have done it many times, but as you say, one is the real world, the other is ideal world.

Hurst, MJ1657 and Starboyjim Thank this.
  8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I have almost always respected and done what ever was asked of me as a company driver. I've only ever driven for O/O's.. so now as an O/O myself.. most of the bad habits I have aquired... are from other O/O's. LOL.

There will be situations where limping it is just not an option. If chunks are flying and I cant make it to a back road with no traffic then I have no choice but to call a service truck out and hope they have the tire I need. But if the tire is intact and its safe to run it... bet yer booty I rolling it.

This is where experience and the abilty to make that call come in to play. Dont roll into a scale dragging an obvious flat. Shouldnt need to be said.. but I have seen it happen while showing my permits, listening to their comments about the idiot who just rolled on to a scale with a shredded trailer tire. Sucks to be him was my thought.

Hurst

9. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    I've never blown a tire I did have a flat one time. Thankfully it was an outside dual on my trailer. A few minutes with a tire spoon and pry bar and I was rolling home.

10. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    Thanks, Hurst. Saved me some keystrokes.

Here's the story of the only limping adventure I've had so far. Iowa, wintertime cold, rest area eastbound 80 around the 205. Woke up 04:30, flat inside left rear dual, off the rim. My glad hand air chuck won't catch tire on the rim, so I called road service. (leased to a mid-mega) "Do NOT move that load, we'll get you some help." Waited a full hour. Got a call, "no service near you, wait for another call." I knew there was a truck stop/service shop about 15 miles ahead. No traffic that time of morning, so I limped along around 45mph, figuring maybe I'd warm up my tires enough to catch that rim. No luck on that when I arrived at tire shop, but a lazy man & woman at the desk told me, "wait here, we'll be with you later on." Anyone can see this motivated me quite a bit, enough to get inspired. I scrounged around the back of the tire shop and truck stop next door, found a 4x6 piece of wood, ran the outside dual up on it and took the sidewall flex out of the flat tire, unleashed my glad hand air chuck, caught the tire on the wheel with a little pushing and shoving, got air in it, no leaks with my Go Go Gadget 409 Flat Finder spray, ran the tire up to 100psi and was on my way. No damage, except a little lost time waiting for someone else to come and take care of my problem. I absolutely promise, I'll do it again if the situation comes again. I kept that 4x6, and I made my miles that day.

Like my buddy from Nebraska always told me: "wait is what broke the bridge." A very wise man.

jbatmick, KB3MMX and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    I have been on super singles for 4 years now.

They have better traction on every road surface water, snow, and ice period.

Less rubber equals less floatation and more pounds per square inch on the contact patch.

The only place they fall behind duals is off road in mud or sand. You will sink quicker. Why? Narrow tread more psi, you will sink out of sight unkess you hit a hard pan within 6 inches.

New tires michelins are about $1000 one the road. I got 450,000 miles on my first set.

Sisbro Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.