truker taxes

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by jyhm, Jan 5, 2008.

1. jyhm

jyhm Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2007
    New England, USA
    Anyone know of a good tax service for (company) truck drivers?

I am not enrolled in per diem yet as i am a bit skeptical of it. I bought a $3000 computer that I want to deduct along with other items.

I used to use the turbo tax website to do my taxes. I am not sure how good that service would be for a driver.

I tried the forum search engine but the results seem to bring up unrelated posts.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Spend some time calling a CPA and get set up the proper way.

4. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    I think that is what he is asking. He wants to know which one to call.

5. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

Just because they are a CPA does not make them the best choice for a trucker. Alot of them have no clue about trucking.

Get a tax preparer, enrolled agent, or CPA. But be sure they have a good knowledge concerning trucking.

6. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    I wouldn't enroll in per diem if I were you. Its true you may get more now instead of waiting to file your taxes for the per diem deduction. but if you get hurt your workmans comp won't be as much because you will be working for lower wages and paying in less, same with social security.

your computer isn't deductible being an employee unless the company requires you to have it. computers are generally a business deduction and you aren't in business. you can pay for it with either your per diem money or your tax refund though...

7. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    He can write the PC. Even as a co driver he can claim it for directions, weather, etc.

8. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

Notarps is right. Computer can be deductible for a trucker. It can be used as GPS, route planning, weather checking, communications.

You are right about the per diem. It only benefits the company.

9. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    I suppose you can claim anything you choose but having it pass an audit is another thing...

The use of a cell phone and a laptop are often common items that owner operator truck drivers use. However, you can only claim half of the cost of them because the government has the opinion that both of them will be used for recreational use as well as for business. Any maps, notebooks, pens, log books, or other items you buy specifically to use in your truck are deductible.

As an EMPLOYEE, you can take an itemized deduction on Schedule A for certain out-of-pocket job-related expenses that are not reimbursed by your employer. Un-reimbursed employee expenses are one of the categories of miscellaneous deductions that are subject to the 2% of adjusted gross income limit.

Job-Related Expenses

Some of the types of un-reimbursed employee expenses you can deduct include the following (aside from travel, transportation, entertainment, and gift expenses; and business use of part of your home):

Depreciation on a computer or cellular telephone your employer REQUIRES you to use in your work

Tools needed for your job

Work clothes and uniforms REQUIRED by your employer that are not suitable for ordinary wear

Protective clothing required in your work, such as hard hats, safety shoes, and glasses

Union dues

Dues to professional organizations and chambers of commerce

Subscriptions to professional journals

Work-related education expenses

Expenses to look for a new job in your present occupation, even if you do not get a new job

Depreciation on a Computer or Cell Phone

You may be able to deduct depreciation on a computer or cell phone if the use is ”for the convenience of your employer” and is “REQUIRED as a condition of your employment”. These conditions will depend on the facts and circumstances in each case, but in general terms, “for the convenience of your employer” means that there is a substantial business reason for requiring their use, and “required as a condition of your employment” means that you cannot properly perform your duties without them.

If you use the computer or cell phone more than 50% in your work, you can claim depreciation under the General Depreciation System (GDS). You may also be able to take the section 179 deduction, and the 50% or 30% special depreciation allowance the year you start using them.

If you do not meet the 50% use test, you must use straight-line depreciation under the Alternative Depreciation System (ADS), and you will not be able to take the section 179 deduction or the special first year depreciation allowance.

Exception for Computer Used in a Home Office

If you use the computer in what qualifies for tax purposes as a home office, you do not have to meet the 50% use test. You can take depreciation under GDS, the section 179 deduction, and the special first year depreciation allowance.
    Use Form 4562, Depreciation and Amortization, to calculate your depreciation deduction. But if you file Form 2106 or 2106EZ, you would report the depreciation on that form, and not on Form 4562.

10. notarps4me

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    That is the importance of using a CPA that knows trucking tax laws. There are a lot of things that you can deduct due to cost of living and being away from home. Using services like idle air, etc does not fall under lodging and is a write off. One needs to research the person doing your taxes to find out if they know what they are doing.

11. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007

I have been professionally preparing income tax returns since 1982. I am an enrolled agent to practice before the Internal Revenue Service.

The description that you have concerning an employee is not directly focused toward a truck driver. Those rules are aimed at the everyday employee.

The deductible items for a truck driver are not limited like the items you shown that are under home office deductions.

As far as audits go, I have represented clients all over the country on numerous audits. I have only lost on one.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.