truker taxes

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by jyhm, Jan 5, 2008.

1. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ
    Well said. Trucking is a total different field. Not to many jobs you cross several states in one day and live like a gypsie.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa
    Can you as a tax preparer tell me where to look up that a computer is deductable for a driver employee? I'd really like to know because I have one w/ gps and programming ect.

what form do you claim it on?

and if you itemize your computer do you have to itemize everything losing the standard per diem deduction?

4. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

The quotation you posted is for an employee who wants to deduct a computer or home office expense for where they work.

The truck driver can take the deduction on form 2106. You would follow the instructions for taking the deductions. The computer would be taken under depreciation rules on form 4562. There are special rules.

These deductions are deductible under the miscellaneous area of the itemized deductions and yes, you would lose the standard deduction amount in order to itemize. HOWEVER, if the standard deduction is higher than the itemized amount you still get to use it.

Most truck drivers have large amounts that can be taken as miscellaneous deductions therefore they always exceed the standard deduction.

If you are not familiar with the rules and the tax forms, it is always advisable to engage a professional tax preparer. I do not recommend H&R Block. I have seen some of their work.

5. jyhm

jyhm Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2007
    New England, USA
    So,.. who would you recommend sir?

6. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I have no knowledge of where you live.

I only suggest that you hire a person who knows about trucking. It can be a CPA, Enrolled Agent or just plain tax preparer. The preparer has to be familiar with the industry. There are too many things that most tax preparers just skim over. They don't see these types of expenses on other returns.

7. im6under

im6under Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2007
    iowa

The last paragraph deals with this the rest was trucking related.

Using publication 463, the rule book for transportation, as a guide I don’t see where or how a computer is a valid deduction. You could put it under entertainment but this section is clearly for you entertaining others as a part of business and not entertaining yourself.

I mentioned you can use your per diem to pay for it which is where these funds would have to materialize from since you aren’t a business but rather an employee.

I’ve never come close to the standard so I always take it. I doubt the $3000 computer will get him close either. You can take the standard or itemize, not both.

well at least we agree on something… lol

I went to a cheap guy on dad’s advice and hardly did anything but pay taxes when I had my business.

I got a new guy, CPA, the last three years in business before selling. He was charging me avg. $3500 a year… but I was driving a new truck, and effectively paying zero tax and still getting 5-6k back every year. Much better than owing 15k with a dipstick filling out the forms.

Good luck to all

8. truckin916

truckin916 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Wild Wild West
    Hi Roadmedic, Since you have a lot of years of experience is there a way you could post a general list or outline on common tax deductions for truckers? 2007 will be the first tax year I'll be filing and I'm interested in the basics and some common as well as uncommon deductions we are allowed to take.
    I've done my taxes myself since the mid 1980's and would like to continue to do so. I've had businesses and a corporation and never had an audit...I used a tax preparer once but when I did my own I always got back more than they could get me. Any advice is very much appreciated.

Cheers and Happy New Year.

9. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    Common Deductions:

Bedding for Truck.
    Paper Towels
    Windex
    Air Freshner
    Cleaning Supplies
    Vacumn Cleaner-12 V
    Microwave
    Inverter
    Refrigerator
    Cooler
    Seat Covers or pads
    Tools
    5th wheel puller
    Gloves
    Padlocks
    Load Locks
    Windshield Washer, if not reimbursed by company.

Misc Items
    Storage containers
    Book for paperwork
    Paper plates, bowls, etc.
    Work clothes
    Coveralls
    Maps

Entertainment
    TV
    Movies-bought once in awhile
    Satellite Radio
    Audio Books
    Cell Phone
    Computer for internet, routing, gps, log books
    Printer
    Scanner
    Internet charges-checking weather.com, mapquest, etc.
    CB Radio Equipment
    GPS

Tax preparation program or fee

This is just a quick list. There are more. Basically, if you buy it to use with the truck, it might be deductible.

10. jyhm

jyhm Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2007
    New England, USA
    What about this site,..

truckertaxservice

Any one heard of them. I learned about them from a sirius commercial.

11. Gazoo

Gazoo Resident Mental Patient

Apr 14, 2007
    Bedrock

I grabbed their brochure at a Pilot in FL. They seem legit, but I am leaning towards American Truckers Business Service since they are affiliated with Landstar. I think they are $60 a week and this includes end of year filing. For the past 4 months, I have been sending all my info to Contractor Business Services,LLC.....big mistake, they never sent me any info,contacts or even a bill and finally I just told them to cancel my account.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.