Trying not to stall truck

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Marv92, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Marv92

Marv92 Bobtail Member

May 5, 2021
    So I’m in CDL school and having an issue with stalling the truck when pulling off from a stop. We always start in 4th. I release the clutch until I feel friction, release brake pedal, then continue releasing the clutch slowly, but I somehow still stall. Is it necessary to release the clutch first, then release brake, then continue to release the clutch? Or when taking off, can I just release the brake pedal first, then slowly release the clutch? Will that still stall the truck? I wonder if I’m not coming off the clutch slow enough? I just get nervous because I don’t want to impede traffic coming off the clutch so slowly lol. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Your problem is 4th gear. If the truck stalls, you're starting in too high a gear plain and simple. I never use anything higher than 2nd when empty. Its just too hard on the truck.

Magoo1968, 88 Alpha, bad-luck and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    "We always start in 4th." Welp there is your problem right there. I have NEVER started any higher then second gear. Drop it back to 2nd. If the CDL instructor docks you for it....find a new one if you can.

5. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    You're pulling an empty trailer; start in 2nd.

austinmike Thanks this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Stop starting in 4th would be the obvious answer, it's 4th gear for a reason and 1st gear is there for a reason.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Ive stalled a truck exactly twice . first time in the middle of an intersection in swift cdl driving school. Left the range selector in high range and stalled it out.

2nd time , was at the fuel island about to pull away as i was watching some hot girl walking by in front of me watching her ### jiggle, i forgot to release breaks . didnt realize it until i came all the way off the clutch and stalled it right in the fuel island... Both of these situations could be avoided . although the 2nd one was worth it...

austinmike and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  8. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Don’t use 4th. Go to a lower gear, there is a reason there is a 3rd, 2nd, 1st, and maybe a ‘granny’ gear.
    Your instructor is an idiot.

Rubber duck kw and AModelCat Thank this.
  9. kitcarguy

kitcarguy Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2021
    The school I am in will not let us start in anything but 2nd.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Like @AModelCat said, your starting in too high of a gear.

AModelCat Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.