Trying to cut cost

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Volvo860, Mar 21, 2018.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    Grubby Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I have an upper bunk in mine. I took the mattress out and use it for storage.

Case of water, 2 - 3 cases of vitamin water in multiple flavors. 2 cases of diet soda, window AC, Space heater, I also keep 2 plastic tubs with new packs of bungee, WD40, gloves, spare fuses, relays, bulbs and LED chicken lights, Glad hand rubbers, air hoses and lines etc. All that and lots more is all up on my upper bunk. Oh,.. and keep a tub of clothes and towels up there too. With out the upper bunk I have no place to put all that stuff. I have tools and spares things under my lower bunk as well.

I already ripped out the lower half of the cabinet behind the driver seat for my fridge and microwave. I thought about an indoor upright AC behind the passenger seat,.. but thats where my dirty laundry and spare straps and clean cloths are all stored. So roof mount is really the only other option for when I finally get tired of dragging the window AC in and out.

Hurst

Grubby, Tug Toy and cke Thank this.
  4. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    Those upright AC units may not keep ya cool. Not near as efficient as others. Might look into a split AC unit. Much more efficient and only need to drill a couple holes for the hoses to run thru.

Hurst and cke Thank this.
  5. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    There are enough used apus on the market. Get one and have it installed, and don't worry about it, should cost half of a new one.

Hurst, the generator spiking won't be the issue, some of them are dirty and tax the switching power supplies to the point that they burn out.

Hurst Thanks this.
  6. UturnGirl

UturnGirl Road Train Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Texas
    This sounds like a good plan.
    What about condensation water? Where does it drip?

ShooterK2 Thanks this.
  7. trowgill

trowgill Bobtail Member

Jan 1, 2014
    How much fuel does your Honda generator use in 10hrs? Does it vary with changes in load you put on it, or is it consistent?

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    it varies.

9. HopeOverMope

HopeOverMope Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2016
    I-20 LOUISIANA
    + 1 for the split a/c system ... got a custom bracket made to support the outside unit, it bolts straight into the stock bolt holes behind the cab. Worked way better than my tripac ever did. The tripac was good, but with a good spilt a/c, when coming into the truck you’ll feel it as soon as you open the driver door.

Took about 3 days at home to get it all out put up.

ShooterK2 Thanks this.
  10. ShooterK2

ShooterK2 Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2012
    Oklahoma
    I just drilled a hole in the bottom of the pan and ran a hose down thru the corner of the cab and let it drip.

UturnGirl Thanks this.
  11. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl

I'm going to assume that question is directed toward me.

The Honda EU3000is has a 3.5 gal tank.

It will power my 8500 BTU window AC or 1500 watt ceramic heater, 32" LG TV, Satellite dish, some microwave usage and my laptop plugged in for roughly 15 - 18 hours before it needs to be topped off again. So you can comfortable do a 10hr break with out any worries. The generator itself is rated for 20hrs at 50% usage. Its very efficient.

Hurst

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.