Trying To Decide Got A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by DreamChaser!!!, Nov 23, 2013.

1. DreamChaser!!!

DreamChaser!!! Light Load Member

May 22, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Hey drivers, I got a pre hire from Stevens Transport. Im currently enrolled in Roadmaster Driving School here in Orlando, FL. Next week is my last week there and then off to orientation. Im really happy so far and where I made it because Im doing really good, and learned a lot, just cant wait to get to training. I only contacted 2 companies and only have interests in 2 companies right now and that Is Stevens Transport and Prime Inc. Both accepted my applications and both have in orientation dates for me. Im just planning to go with 1 company for at least 3 years and 1 that would help me pay off my tuition through tuition reimbursement. I want to stay over the road. Not interested in local or regional at this moment. Im not looking for great pay in the beginning , or great pay for my first year. The pay might interest me more after 1 year experience but whats more important to me right now is going with a good training company, get good experience and be the best I could be. Im not expecting for everything to be great my first year but still Im planning to work really hard. Im not going to have a problem with being out weeks at a time. Im not planning to refuse any loads, or give anyone a hard time. Im planning to learn everything I would need to know when Im in training and work to support my family. Im also planning to get my Hazmat endorsement, but after training. My physical and everything good. I passed my DOT physical on the first day of school and the doctor told me that everything is good. But still Im on prescription for diabetes with Metformin and Metformin is not a problem with Stevens or Prime. I just have a couple questions to ask, these two companies are a tough decision for me, but by next week Friday when Im done and ready to head out, I will know and make the final decision

1). About tuition reimbursement, I know Stevens will reimburse you up to $6000, but how much will you be getting reimbursed every month ?

2). Is orientation 3 days long or 4 days long for CDL holders

3). What will be done in orientation ? Because I here that theres classroom, practicing on the yard.

4). How long is training overall ? I heard it can be longer than usual

5). How much can I expect to make every week for my first year. I know I will be starting off at 26 cpm

6). Will I be running into Canada often or do I have to ask my dm to get there ?

7). What will be my home time for living in Orlando, FL

8. Will I average 2200-3000 or more miles every week

9). Passenger policy ?

10). What types of trucks do Stevens currently have in their fleet

11). Are drivers allowed to go out of route sometimes ? ( see a family member that maybe 5-10 miles away or someone you know )

12). Most importantly , how is their training overall ?

( Things Im planning to go with to orientation )
    1). Naturalization Certificate, birth certificate, SS, CDL
    2). Laptop
    3). 2013 Rand McNally Mottor Carriers Road Atlas
    4). Truck Stop Guide
    5). Truck Parking Guide
    6). Next Exit Guide
    7). Pen, pencil, notebook
    8. Calculator
    9). Gloves
    10). Flashlight
    11). Raincoat
    12). A jacket for all weather types
    13). Boots
    14). Sun Glasses
    15). Ruler

( Things I will need when Im solo )
    1). Rand McNally 720 GPS ( Will not rely on GPS all the time )
    2). A Inverter
    3). Refrigerator
    4). Microwave
    5). T.V.
    6). CB Radio
    7). A few other accessories

pattyj Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    You are going to make one great and successful driver.I wish you well with your new career.

DreamChaser!!! Thanks this.
  4. muleshoe

muleshoe Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Don't forget a small can of Lysol spray. Just in case your trainer likes Pilot/ Flying J burritos.

pattyj Thanks this.
  5. Shoestring

Shoestring Light Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Lehigh Fl
    1. Depends, Did you pay for your school with cash or CC. then its $25 week. Not sure how they pay loans though.
    2. 4 days
    3. Combination of class room instruction, practice on yard, physical and drug test. (Dont forget your work boots)
    4. 5-6 weeks, depends on weather, loads, (you need 8500 miles, 3 mountains, and bump a dock in every major region of the us.)
    5. again depends on loads, weather. Also if you stay company or go alliance. Company side, i would say between $500 and $800 weekly.
    6. not sure, don't have passport, Don't want one. :)
    7. Lots of drivers out of FL. Been home once since July. of course i went straight through ORI and ORII with out taking time off. Came back from time off put in for mid DEC. Lets see if I get it
    8. So far average has been in mid 2k range so yeah you can get it, just have to be reliable.
    9. 1 passenger after training has completed. THis includes grad fleet, so about 6 months. Must be over 10 years old, must have insurance.
    10. Pete 387, 587 kenworth t660, t700, and the new 680. Freightshakers, cascadias i think,
    11. yes and no, too far out of route, you will get nailed for variance and may have to pay for the miles. also trucks and trailers need to be parked in secured areas, your "uncles" 10 acres don't count as secured.
    12. excellent, almost to the point of overkill. Steven's is really big on safety.

All stevens trucks are equipped with apu and inverter. everything else you have to supply. Have gps on the QC, lots of people complain about it, but, as of yet, it hasn't let me down. I'm sure that day is coming though.

Prime from what I here, you have to sign the lease to run solo. No lease, then your running team. Not sure if that is true or not, just what I have heard.

Good luck, stay determined and focused and you'll do great.

DreamChaser!!! Thanks this.
  6. DreamChaser!!!

May 22, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks a lot. I got more information now. And for Prime, I've never heard about that and knew a driver that drove for them

7. n1xrf

n1xrf Light Load Member

Jul 18, 2011
    somewhere in the USA
    Prime doesn't require you to sign a lease to run solo after your training is over.

8. Blackice13

Blackice13 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Bangkok
    If you want the bigger truck you will more than likely have to lease with Prime or run team. Solo company drivers at Prime are put in the light weight smaller trucks.

9. DreamChaser!!!

May 22, 2012
    Orlando, FL
    Im not planning to lease , or team ( unless its a close friend ). But for the lightweight trucks, If I have no other option then it would be something I would have to go with. I just think for a driver that's driving otr, a lightweight truck wouldn't be to good, especially if your out 3-4 weeks or more

10. Chucktaylor

Chucktaylor Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2012
    If you get a lightweight truck at Prime they pay you an extra .05 per mile.

Im just throwing out this figure, but if you average 2500 weekly miles that's $125 more dollars a week.

11. Blackice13

Blackice13 Bobtail Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Bangkok

I was out an average 8 weeks at a time so a leased bigger truck was a must. My brother did the same but had the company driver lightweight. He hated it!!! Depends on the person but I began to feel even the big truck was too small. If you run your curtains around the windows vs splitting the cab, you will feel a bit better. Many remove the passenger seat on the lightweights and place a fridge and microwave in it's place. With prime you may get a lightweight Freightliner, Peter, or Prostar. My brother picked his truck and got a Prostar. It was the nicest of the lightweights.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.