Trying to decide who to drive for!!!

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by nobdysbsness69, May 28, 2017.

1. nobdysbsness69

nobdysbsness69 Bobtail Member

May 28, 2017
    I've read hundreds of reviews about all the major companies that hire new drivers and still cant decide!!! I passed all the tests for my class A and all the endorsements last month and already paid the rental fee to have a truck for my pretrip and skills test at the Fontana DMV. My date is mid June and the only experience I have is tow trucks for the last 17 years!!! I just didn't like the idea of being in debt to a company for training fees!!! I realize everyone must pay their dues and I have no delusions anyone owes me a #### thing!!! All I'd like to know is it possible for a hard working guy with a great attitude to at least get treated like somewhat human while learning???? My belief is strong that somehow amidst all the miserable reviews out there that someone must be making enough to survive and and for some reason it must be worth the trouble to hang in there. Otherwise no one out there would know what their doing!!! Thanks in advance for any advice!!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    Best of luck to you.

4. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    If I had to pick a company to start out with. It would be one that keeps me within my loccal or regioal area.

5. ExOTR

ExOTR Windshield Chipper Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2013
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Most companies will still make you go to a school before they hire you....
    Just having a cdl without experience makes it difficult to insure you.
    You can get a grant for the school through your state, or pay for your own 3 week school.
    It opens up a lot of options, and quite a few companies will reimburse your tuition costs over the 1st 18months of employment.
    Another options would be to become a LTL or foodservice dock worker, and let them bring you on as a driver trainee.

6. nobdysbsness69

May 28, 2017
    Thanks Pup im sure ill need it!!!

7. nobdysbsness69

May 28, 2017
    Thanks to you as well Haz and Exotr
    I do have free training offer through unemployment at the present. I just might take them up on the offer. Im sure whoever my mentor turns out to be would sure appreciate the three weeks of knowlege!!! Thanks again everyone!!!

8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
    You may want to look into YRC. They have a program set to train on there equipment. So once released you will be doing LTL not OTR

9. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    Be Leary of YRC...appears they might be in a bit of a bind.....

10. Puppage

Puppage Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2012
    Connecticut
    You'll do just fine. Any worthwhile achievement takes determination. Just keep the end goal in mind and the rest will take care of itself. You got this, man!!

11. Kstrong86

Kstrong86 Medium Load Member

May 20, 2017
    Orlando, FL
    Well first of congrats on passing all of your exams. I would recommend going to a school to get your training and then pick your place of employment. Number one you are not bound to just one company because you owe them. Second a lot of these companies would prefer schooling because to them yes you have the license but you have never stepped foot inside of a semi before. Third you can try local companies but majority of them want that OTR experience and it's very hard to get a local job. A lot of LTL companies are very selective and would prefer to promote or advance from within. I would stay away from YRC because they are union based and I'm not saying all unions are bad. Just not a gig for me. I applied to SEF for a driver apprentice program. That would be great because it's local and that's what you want to search for but again they are very selective and I don't know what your finance situation is and if you can wait forever to get a phone call. Now if you could get something regional or dedicated that would be great. Home every week and sometimes better pay. But depending on the company they will not count that as OTR experience. At the end of the day you need to make the best decision on what's best for you. And that's all that really matters. Put applications everywhere in and talk to these companies or recruiters. You will either like what they say or don't. But at least it will help you make a better decision by talking to them.

jungledrums and Chinatown Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.