Trying to get into OTR trucking

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by OccamsRazor, Nov 4, 2017.

1. OccamsRazor

OccamsRazor Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2017
    I don't know if this is the right forum, but I hopefully plan on graduating from college next May and to be honest I'm not really sure what I want to do after college and I never liked the idea of sitting behind a desk. I'm thinking about getting a CDL and doing OTR truck driving. I have a cousin whose an OTR driver and loves it. It seems like something that would fit my personality.

I live in the midwest and I'm currently looking at CRST for paid CDL training since it's closest to where I live. What are some other good companies in Nebraska, Missouri, or Iowa that offers paid CDL training?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Coolbreezin

Coolbreezin Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2016
    Florida
    1) Just because one guy likes OTR, doesnt mean you will. You will spend about 40 days a year at home. You will have to plan months in advance for any family gathering or holiday. Even then it isnt promised.
    2) Any paid training will lock you into a contract with that company until they can recoup their investment monies from you. I recommend not doing that. Pay for the school yourself and join any starter company.
    3) If you have any issues with motorists or even society and how inconsiderate we are to another, you DO NOT want to drive a giant rolling billboard. They will call in on you for anything they deem unfit, whether illegal or not.
    In closing, I highly recommend you go to a truckstop and speak to some OTR drivers. Personally, I like and drove for USA Truck and Marten Transport. Good luck.

Need4Speed Thanks this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jim Palmer Trucking is a good choice. CRST is ok, but it's a team outfit mostly.
    Jim Palmer Trucking cdl school is in Missoula,Montana. Coast to coast refrigerated trucking.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Satellite TV
    24" Samsung with DirecTV DVR
    • Refrigerator
      Available for Purchase
    • APU
      Model varies by truck
    • Lower Bunk

Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    Need4Speed Thanks this.
  5. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Contract Freighters Inc. www.cfidrive.com
    Coast to coast dry van. School in Joplin,MO and sometimes pays for private school.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

OccamsRazor Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Jones Bros. Trucking - cdl school in Missoula,Montana. Coast to coast flatbed trucking.

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Dick Danger

Dick Danger Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2014
    Seattle
    I wouldn't suggest anyone under the age of 60 to start driving a truck these days, but what the hell, you could get hit by a bus tomorrow so do what makes you happy.

Does your current school have any sort of vocational training? Show up with a CDL and you're ahead of the game. Way back when a former employer sent new hires to the local Jr college for CDL training. It worked out fairly well for all involved. In six months when the vast majority quit the industry they weren't stuck in a contract, and the company replaced them with new grads. Plus the rest of the new hire orientation left them with 20 credits towards a degree.

OccamsRazor Thanks this.
  8. haz-matguru

haz-matguru Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2012
  9. OccamsRazor

Nov 4, 2017
    I'm 22 now. Will be 23 when I (hopefully) will graduate next May. There are a couple of truck driving schools and a community college in my area that offers CDL training. Haven't really looked at pricing yet, but the CC seems like a good bet since I could get FAFSA aid for that. My current degree program isn't actually related to anything in the trucking industry.

10. Chinatown

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Attend the community college school if you can. This way you'll have more choices of companies to work for at graduation.
    West Side Transport has guaranteed minimum weekly pay and hires new cdl grads.
    Couple dozen more to choose from though. Which state do you live in?

11. OccamsRazor

Nov 4, 2017
    Nebraska/Iowa. I technically live in Iowa, but I live right on the border. The college is in Nebraska

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.