Trying to make a silk purse out of my max 6

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by Hulld, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    DF2EDE8F-8883-49B8-8AC1-E331DB31A87A.jpeg 94FD64C7-12A5-4488-BE70-BDF3080C5122.jpeg CC90AF97-92B4-4352-9BBC-FC75542EBC83.jpeg well maybe not quite a silk purse but definitely a major improvement.
    The air over hydraulic brakes on my Kauffman max 6 were the biggest unsafest pos I have ever operated.
    So I set out to see if I could figure out how to improve them and this is what I came up with last month.
    I called dexter axle engineering in Indiana and had them design me 3 10,000 lb HD single wheel axels.
    I also had one engineered for antilock brakes so the trailer would remain dot legal.
    I then ordered them thru my local redneck trailer supply.
    It took dexter about two and half weeks to build them to spec and deliver them to my local redneck trailer supply dealer with no freight charge.
    I brought them home and my son and I installed them and then plumbed all the air lines and they were a perfect fit without issue.
    After that I drove the trailer up to the alignment shop in Albany ny and had them aligned.
    WOW is all I can say!
    What a difference to have a good set of effective dependable brakes that will stop you easily when loaded instead of those useless air over hydraulic things.
    I’m sure the linings will last a whole lot longer too as they are a wider brake shoe and a thicker lining.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    So what will be your max legal weight? 25,500? I don’t see you getting a legally 30k#.

I guess from a technical POV it’s a good deal, but from a simple logical idea; it seems like you put a Kia on a Mercedes frame (if Im saying that correctly)? Im truly not trying to be disrespectful. Just don’t understand the long term value of spending that kind of money on a Kaufman trailer. Why not buy a single axle 20k# tractor with say a SunCountry or something like that that would give you some real flexibility? Regardless, all the best.

4. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    377C026B-AB88-42E1-98D0-316E44CD6A19.jpeg
    This set up fits my needs perfectly for my particular operation which is kind of a seasonal thing for me.
    The change I made is just switching from 10,000# air over hydraulic axles to 10,000# air brake axels.
    As far as weight goes I regularly haul six vehicles and never come close to my max weight or being over on my tractor or trailer axels
    When I scale I am usually around 2000# pounds less then my licensed gvw which is 54,500#.
    The truck and trailer full of fuel and gear only weighs 28000#s so I can haul six vehicles and not worry about weight or getting above the heavy truck tax weight requirement quite easily.
    Not sure on the comment about buying a single axle tractor as that’s exactly what I run.
    Maybe the picture will make more sense of what my combination is.

5. Kozakvod

Kozakvod Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Gotcha. I thought you were pulling it with a 35,45, or 5500 ram truck or similar as so many seem to do. A pic is worth a 1000 words. Stay safe!

6. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    You may be thinking of the Kaufman mini 5 that they pull with the smaller trucks.
    The max6 is built as a full semi trailer with a stated 48,000# GVW.
    The confusing thing to me is why they would build a semi trailer to be pulled by a tractor with air over hydraulic brakes?
    What a crazy pos set up I took off it.
    They actually took an air brake canister and mounted it to a single port hydraulic brake master cylinder.
    The master cylinder had one single brake line that fed all six brakes so any failure in the hydraulic system at all rendered all six brakes inoperative.
    The final straw for me was last fall when I had a full load on coming out of Florida and a wheel cylinder let go leaving me with no trailer brakes siting in a rest area on I 75.
    As I sat there thinking about the inbound trip I realized that just two days before I came fully loaded down Fancy Gap with that set up.
    It was then I knew I needed to make a major change of the brake system.
    I don’t know how on earth with all the strick dot laws do they give dot approval to a trailer manufacturer to build a brake system this way.

Ruthless and BigBob410 Thank this.
  7. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    That Lil' Red Express on the nose was the fastest production American vehicle in 1978.

Always thought they were sharp.

417bigK and Hulld Thank this.
  8. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    Yes they were.
    But compared to almost any V8 car of today it would be considered at the very bottom of the performance class.
    I grew up in the middle and end of the great Muscle car era and it was a sad day when the year 1971 came along and it all ended practically over night.
    But I am happy that in recent years that we have had a second coming that would put most old school muscle cars to shame.

9. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Yeah, I well remember the days of big blocks making less than 200hp. It's amazing how even plain-jane sedans perform, nowadays. 14 second 1/4 miles times are commonplace, and it's hard to even keep track of how many vehicles are making over 300 hp. Who'd have thunk we'd live to see 400 hp pickups that get close to 20mpg? :)

Ruthless, BigBob410 and Hulld Thank this.
  10. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    For sure.
    Not only 400 hp pick up trucks now but almost no emissions coming out of the tail pipe.
    How long do you think it will be before some government or insurance entity puts the brakes on all these new horsepower over achievers like the Hell cat and the dodge Demon?
    Heck I remember back in the day being big man around town because I had a 400 Cummins in my big truck when everyone else had 350s or 318 Detroit and one poor soul had a 237 Mack lol.

417bigK, BigBob410 and Hammer166 Thank this.
  11. djbattle

djbattle Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Three axles will chew tires,you have so much money in a rig that only hauls six cars,why not just spend 35 k on a real 10 car hauler.if you haul an average of 8 runs at 500 per car x3 your losing 12k a month,I wonder when I see these odd setups how long people have been in business. How are you making money.Or if they hire newbies to run their equipment until they fiquire out they not making money

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.