Trying to pinpoint the "better" LTL companies:

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by ClevelandTrucker216, Jun 16, 2023.

1. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    CBus but my current bid has me running 71 all night. cmh-cin-cmh-cle-cmh

ClevelandTrucker216 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mickeyrat

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    DFL began as a single straight truck in 1981. Owner worked at Yellow back then and thought, I could do this.

turns out he was right. Our original driver is still with the company. Got a couple guys at my barn with 35+ with the company.

4. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Frankly, if I wasn’t bumped from P&D to Linehaul, I’d still be there. I absolutely loved 80-90% of P&D there. I also absolutely hated 10-20% of P&D (residentials, destroyed freight, etc).

XPO has only one Driver position and seniority board. Huge downside if you don’t have seniority. I was bumped to a line run that was 14 hours every night, 16 hrs once per week, and involved 4 hrs per day of driving and 10 hrs of dock work. Absolutely a nightmare of a position.

Pay, benefits, uniforms, etc were good.

5. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Also, O/T after 8 hrs was excellent.

TexasKGB and ClevelandTrucker216 Thank this.
  6. ClevelandTrucker216

ClevelandTrucker216 Light Load Member

Wouldn’t even call it a local gig anymore with them hours! Lol. Yeah they told me 14 hours or so a day for about 2 years — which is crazy. I like what I do, but ####.

like I said though I have respect for them because they are so transparent about what sucks at their job.

7. TexasKGB

TexasKGB Light Load Member

Oct 15, 2019
    Fiddler's Green
    Yeah, the bottom-ladder linehaul runs at XPO pay well, but at the complete loss of a normal life. That's the deal at XPO. If you're competent you're worked to death so that the DEI hires don't have to. You're paid to pick up the slack so that management doesn't have to face the fact that 85% of the drivers are either too old and fat to work (the most expensive drivers do the least) or are young Affirmative Action hires that can't do the work if they wanted to.

That's the big issue with XPO. The driver rolls are in a demographic barbell - old and expensive on one end, young and frankly incompetent on the other, with a very narrow middle that's supporting both. With the singer driver designator and seniority board, there's no real path for a decent mid-career workhorse to find a manageable career. Anyone smart does their time and jumps to a better carrier after getting burned a few times on bids by a more senior driver, or burned by dispatchers scrambling to deal with the 4/5 drivers that probably shouldn't have a CDL.

8. RussianBearTruckeR

RussianBearTruckeR Heavy Load Member

Jul 9, 2018
    Jacksonville, FL
    DF do any crossdock action with longer miles or strictly P&D? Any sleepers?

9. mickeyrat

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    have a few locations with 3rd party carriers running TL stuff. then our interline stuff .Yes to the sleepers. we have some bids called system bids. out all week. hotel daily. go where capacity is light or volume is heavy. highly flexible option for the company. was all day cabs. sister company folded and we took n their tractors and trailers. recent started replacing with new. 56 in sleepers, not hi rises...

closest terminal to you is our Dalton Ga terminal in Calhoun....

RussianBearTruckeR Thanks this.
  10. classicxl

classicxl Medium Load Member

Dec 16, 2006

Unfortunately a lot of the well paying jobs in my area if you want to make any kind of money that’s more than $26 a hr you’re working your life away . Like Martin Brower with the ridiculous on call 24/7 bs

RussianBearTruckeR Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.