Trying to take hubby's hometime away because he did a 34 hour reset??

Discussion in 'Swift' started by newtruckerwife84, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I knew about that a couple years ago.
    This time I was out 11 weeks, the last couple not of my choosing.
    I was initially set for 3 days off (3 FULL days, but 48 hours between going off duty and back on, so they probably considered it as 4).
    But I needed to transfer my CDL to MN this time, and I needed an extra day.
    It was not a problem.

But as you said, I don't have another 6-7 days of home time in the bank.
    When I go back, it is with a clean slate and I have to work 6 for every one that I want next time.

That doesn't bother me so much.
    I know the system and will work with it.
    If I really wanted to hold them accountable for every home time day that I earned, I would take 3 full days off every 3rd week. But then I would forever be making up pay from the days off and fighting to get back home.

I went in to the terminal yesterday to respond to a pplan that I got by text, but it wasn't on the QC.
    But there was a message about a service failure on my last load for being late.
    I had agreed to a pplan with a window to 0900, but when I got the load assignment the delivery was for 0545.
    So I sent my loaded call with an ETA of 0900, and got back a response that it was later than the appointment time. I was already driving, and I ignored it.
    A few minutes later I get an 'important message' that simply said "!." (The ! was the header of the important message.
    So as I went through traffic lights I composed and sent a reply to !. that the time agreed upon in the pplan was 0900.
    The response was - OK,THX

Then the message of a SF.
    I called my DM and explained it, and he could see that I got to the delivery before 0900. He said he would refute ASAP.
    I'll see what happens.

But, I'll not be held hostage to Plus-1 BS times.
    If I accept a pplan with a certain time, I expect to have that time on the load!
    The pplan is the 'contract' between driver and company - NOT the final load assignment.

dptrucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newtruckerwife84

newtruckerwife84 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    O Kean, Arkansas
    Also another question. I saw in another thread that when drivers first start out solo they have one DM but this is not their permanent DM, they will get another after a while. What is the time frame for this? Since the hometime ordeal his current DM has been giving him a lot of attitude, I guess because the FM overruled her and gave him his hometime as scheduled. We have also looked into McElroy which is also flatbed and we have a local flatbed company here but they require 2 years driving. He's going back and forth and not sure yet if he wants to switch to flatbed.

4. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    yeah you start out with a "driver leader" then move to a permanent DM after a few months

5. newtruckerwife84

Mar 16, 2013
    O Kean, Arkansas
    That's good because I think it's time for a change lol. He's "supposed" to be home tomorrow, the fleet manager set his hometime for tomorrow BUT his DM is having him go from Brandon,MS where he is now picking up a preloaded to Springfield,MO, then Sedalia,MO to Memphis and then home. By tomorrow. He doesn't think he'll have the hours to get back home and we live 2.5 hrs from Memphis and in Memphis he has to get some permits since the NJ terminal didn't have any that he needed, go figure. He tried declining the load and they wouldn't let him and from what he understands if he doesn't make it home Friday then his hometime may be cancelled all together. Is this true? Can he get his hometime pushed back to Saturday if needed?

6. fr8monkey

fr8monkey Road Train Member

Sep 16, 2009
    Right behind you
    Wow!...his dm is kind of a xxxhole!....if he don't have the hours he don't have them......and your ht starts the day you get there...honestly,they are playing games with him if what u say is all true.....trying to completely use his hours and not care if he gets there or not.....5 year swift driver here btw.....

7. newtruckerwife84

Mar 16, 2013
    O Kean, Arkansas
    Yeah his load is supposed to be in Springfield MO by 6:30 am tomorrow and he has 1 hr 29 mins and is about 3 hours away but won't even be able to start until 7am tomorrow and the dm told him to just keep driving until his time is up and he'll make it. There is no way he can make it. He said he's in an area of the Ozarks where he's climbing hills at 20 mph. I guess the planners and people in charge have no idea. It's looking like he'll make it in maybe the 2nd or 3rd. He still has to find out if he's still going to have hometime. Since the crap in maine his DM has been a major pain in our ###!

8. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    I had a difficult time getting home the last time, but home time is never cancelled - it just gets pushed back.
    But it does sound like a bunch of crap, and a crap DM.

If he does complete the loads and has no hours left, it would simply mean that he has to take a 10 hour break before he can drive again.
    If he is close enough to home, he can take the 10 and then go home.
    But he might need to drop an empty trailer along the way, depending on the last load.
    That takes the help of his DM, sadly.

Tell him to be sure and do the Mac22's for any load he can't get to in time, or deliver on time, because of the dodgy scheduling.
    It will cover his butt from service failures.
    The only reason he needs to give is, 'late dispatch, so I couldn't get there in time.' - or some such thing.

And it might be time for him to speak with his FM or TM, to try and get a better DM.

Tapeworm Thanks this.
  9. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    wow

I would tell your husband to go above the DM, get ahold of the terminal manager

Like moose said you dont lose the hometime, I have been home 1-2 days late and I have been home early. I have turned down loads when trying to get home before, if I was given a load where I did not have the hours I would just simply decline it and say in the comments im going home. I had one where I was about 10 hours from home and only had like 12 left on my 70 with nothing to gain, they tried to give me a load going in the opposite direction and I said hell no and declined it stating I was supposed to be getting home, hour later I had a load heading towards home. He just needs to put his foot down.

10. newtruckerwife84

Mar 16, 2013
    O Kean, Arkansas
    No, he got his hometime, it was just half a day shorter. How does Swift's pay period work? He's only ever had 1 check over $600 and a local gravel/sand company is hiring so he's going to talk to the owner and maybe try to get that job. At least he's getting more miles and longer runs now. He went from Jonesboro, AR to Buffalo NY and now he's going from NY to Minnesota :) He was thinking about leasing from Swift but with most of his checks under $500 he'd be hard pressed just to buy fuel and make truck payments. And I'd like him home for holidays.

11. truckon

truckon Swamp Thing

Dec 16, 2011
    Like I'd tell you!
    Do NOT lease with swift.

MJ1657, baha and Drifter42 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.