Trying to take hubby's hometime away because he did a 34 hour reset??

Discussion in 'Swift' started by newtruckerwife84, Oct 24, 2013.

1. SteveH85396

SteveH85396 Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Waddell, AZ
    I broke even last week with only 1248 loaded miles, I've broken even in as little as 1000 miles. I deposit $.20 per mile into my maintaince account and have been doing so for over a year.

My truck is a business tool. I maintain my truck according to Freightliner's (not Swift's) maintaince schedule. The only accessories I've purchased for my truck (a windshield sunshade, window screens, a BIG box fan, & a set of Aeroflaps) are items that either keep me more comfortable WITHOUT idling my truck or improve my fuel mileage. I wash my truck as necessary, not the once a week I wish I could (it's black). I ALWAYS pick the newest trailer I can find and if forced to chose between several old POS trailers I look for one with skirts. My 13 week average is OVER 8 MPG. You CANNOT get that kind of mileage if you idle your truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. newtruckerwife84

newtruckerwife84 Light Load Member

Mar 16, 2013
    O Kean, Arkansas
    I'm not sure what his average miles are weekly, I'd have to ask him. I know he had an 800 mile run starting on Thursday and he has about a 1500 mile run that he's on now. He doesn't idle his truck much now that it's cooler weather but he does have to take an advance every week. he has it set up so 25% of his check gets put on his commdata card and the rest is put on our bank card but what he gets on his card isn't enough to live off while he's on the road. He has so far never had a late load. He runs pretty steady. The only time he stops is to do his 30 min break or to fuel up. If he has 3 days to get a load somewhere he doesn't dilly dally, he tries to get it there as soon as he can. I think he makes .28 cpm right now and started with them early August but before that he drove 3 months for a local company and before that he drove for CR England but that didn't last long at all. The local job he checked out had already been filled. So I don't know if he should just stay with Swift a little longer or maybe switch to a different company? I guess if I can find him a local driving job he'd quit to drive local but there's just not any local jobs here. How often does Swift give raises or bonuses? And when does the pay period start?

4. Truckergirl0720

Truckergirl0720 Medium Load Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Here or there just depends
    He takes a 25% cash advance!?!?! Wow!

RightCoast and truckon Thank this.
  5. RightCoast

RightCoast Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Upstate NY/Central FL
    That seems like a lot of money to spend weekly unless he is eating every single meal out of the truck.

truckon and Truckergirl0720 Thank this.
  6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Swift only allows $100 per week in a cash advance.
    The 25% is what he uses out of his paycheck to live on, and gets an advance if needed. Not a hard read, I thought.
    It would be better if he had a debit card with the family account so he would not have to pay the fees of taking the advance and withdrawing the cash.
    Once you get in the rut of taking advances, it can be hard to get out of.

7. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    I think he had a crack habit ... strictly speaking, my fixed cost and only the fuel consumed at my average of 7.5 mpg to run the miles, I'm cash flow positive at 750 miles.

8. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    I did not get into details with the driver about his cost and stuff so no I cant answer for his situation, only what he claimed.

I have 2 bank accounts, my chase account my wife has a card to and 95% of my checks go into that account which pays bills and takes care of other little things plus I use some of it for my living on the road, I have 5% deposited into my Wells fargo business account that I opened up for free when I was in orientation, I use that money normally for my extra spending like entertainment etc plus I have $1 automatically transferred into a savings account daily which keeps the savings account free from all fees and its my savings for a family vacation.

For the past couple weeks I have been eating almost every single meal in my truck which has saved a ton of money and now that im making use of my oven im even eating a broader range of decent foods including Salmon and stuff. Right now I am trying to keep my personal food budget to $20 a week, sometimes I splurge and will eat at a Dennys or something.

Im not a LO or O/O but I keep my idle to a bare minimum, I even shut off the truck when im dropping or hooking to a trailer as a force of habit now. The last time I asked my DM for my numbers I was at 8.2mpg, its probably higher now since I have been moving mt's and bobtailing so much. My mentor told me to practice and drive like I own my truck and if the day ever came when I actually did then it wouldnt be hard for me to sacrifice and make drastic changes in idling habits etc.

It amazes me though when im parked somewhere and its 70 degrees outside but you still hear people idling, it was 68 degrees when I got where im at right now and I parked next to another Swift who was idling and he was nowhere to be seen in the truck....

9. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    rarely do i idle the truck. unless its hot enough for me to start sweating while trying to sleep.

10. Wolfyinc

Wolfyinc Road Train Member

Apr 21, 2013
    Salem, or
    yeah thats the only time I do too and I will try using a fan first. I did idle for about 4 hours close to a month ago when I had to sleep during the middle of the day in Lathrop and the sun beating down on the truck was just making it an oven, once it got dark I woke up and shut it down.

One thing I like about this new freight I have is that there is a built in fan right next to my head which I use sometimes even for just noise.

11. koncrete cowboy

koncrete cowboy Medium Load Member

Jun 11, 2013
    Pennsylvania

Lmao...... blind chimp banging on a keyboard...:biggrin_25514:.....that sir is was awesome !!! Thats not copywrited is it?? Id like to borrow that

Truckergirl0720 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.