Tug test failure

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by chaszo, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Palazon

Palazon Road Train Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Tacoma, WA
    At GTI I had a truck with an air release for the 5th wheel jaws. That valve went bad and unhooked the trailer (caught it on frame).

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Y2K

Y2K Road Train Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Yacolt,WA
    This whole thread is making me nervous, I sometimes pull as many as 5 trailers in a day and many of the chip dumps are trailer only so I sometimes uncouple several times a day with one trailer.
    I always tug a couple times with the gear up (rock it back and forth too) and I always bump it good when hooking up, most times I look too especially with a new trailer.
    I have had a couple drop on the frame but so far none onto the landing gear, this thread has made me think about it I'll say that.
    It's easy to get in a hurry on my job, especially when a bunch of other trucks are waiting for the dumper since many of us are not paid hourly.
    The more loads in a day the more money we make so we hurry all day, still a guy has to think safety first, dropping a trailer on the freeway would definitely ruin your day even if no one got hurt.
    :biggrin_25521:

4. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    My trainer almost dumped a trailer when he failed to do a tug test. He was all sbout rushing drop and hooks, which is the WRONG time to huury.

My procedure:

Back until 5th wheel meets front of trailer - goal to check height

Dump air bags and back until 5th wheel is in front of kingpin - goal

Air bags inflate and goal

Raise landing gear so full weight of trailer is on 5th wheel

Back in to lock

Tug test then goal for locking jaws

Connect lines and pretrip trailer

Double check locking jaws visually

Pull out slowly

Dan.S Thanks this.
  5. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    Always chk your 5th wheel jaws. Tug test then chk jaws. Then dolly up and hook lines. Its your cdl do not risk failure because of time schedules.

Dan.S, CondoCruiser and CenutryClass Thank this.
  6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I couldnt agree more.

Get
    Out
    And
    Look

I cant stress what CenturyClass said enough.

Tug test is never a guarantee its locked in correctly.

Use this as a learning experience and dont repeat.

Hurst

Dan.S Thanks this.
  7. rocket robin

rocket robin Bobtail Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Need to check every time you stop also. I got in a hurry at a truck stop one night on the fuel island because a truck had pulled in behind me. I hurried inside after I pulled forward to get my receipt and use the bathroom. I came out and pulled away and got in the street and lost my trailer. Thank goodness it didn't come off all the way, had 43000 lbs in it. Another driver helped me get it back up.

8. CenutryClass

CenutryClass Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2006
    If i park somewhere i wont have eyes on my set, when i stop,apply the trailer brakes, move the tractor forward and apply forward pressure on the kingpins. About impossible to release that way. but yes, you should still check everytime you leave the combination. There may be some pissed off former driver looking to cause trouble.

9. Sly Fox

Sly Fox Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Everyone has their own way of doing things... the key is to actually do things.

Always look. With an air dump on my tractor, I can go under the trailer (I know where my front drive will be in relation to the front edge of the trailer), raise the air, and then wait for the air gauge to start rising. Once it hits about 20psi, I know I'm lifting the trailer. Back up until I hear the jaws snap. Get out, hook the lines, check the locking jaw, and then raise the landing gear. When I disconnect, it's the opposite. Landing gear, disconnect hoses, pull the release arm, and then slight forward (a few inches), dump the air out, and once no longer riding the trailer, pull out from underneath.

Also, always check. I haul reefer, so I always am back behind my truck to check the display. Just glance down and a) make sure the release arm is still in. And, b) check the locking jaw from time to time. Make sure it's not moving at all. Also, only pull away with the trailer firmly on the fifth wheel. If you picked it up at a slight angle, etc, and there was space on one side or the other, pull it onto flat grand away from where it was dropped, and make sure that everything is where it should be.

But, unless there's clear failure of a fifth wheel (which is tough and rare to happen), it' operator error for not connecting properly.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    This is the most critical statement. Have a procedure and do it the same every time. No rush and NO shortcuts.

Dan.S Thanks this.
  11. truckermario

truckermario Road Train Member

Sep 24, 2006
    After a couple scary roll aways, I make it a habit to climb back in the truck and check the parking brake a second time after lowering the landing gear and disconnecting the air hoses but before yanking on the locking jaw lever.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.