Tuitio reimbursemant and per diem. Good or bad??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SHOJim, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    It seems like Per Diem is one of those things that could really work for some people and really not work for others.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

thats a good thing, that means you work for at least a halfway decent company.

American Trucker

4. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

yep works for stupid people, and not for people that understand why its riping you off

American Trucker

5. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

let me slow this down for you:

You paid $XXX.xx for school
    Your company will pay you $XXX a month until they have paid you back for every penny you paid for school.....

If you DO NOT take the Reinbursement, you ARE shooting your self in the foot! Why not take FREE money!:biggrin_25526:

HELLO! THINK!

American Trucker

6. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

its not 1990 any more. Companys just give you X amount of money per month until they have paid you back for school. Anyone that doesnt take the money is an idiot.

I get $100/ per month until they Pay me Back the $2,900 i spent on school, my CPM is the same as everyone else and i get better then average miles.

American Trucker

7. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Knight pays my entire tuition back. The payment they give me every month covers the entire cost. I still get my regular pay and bonuses. Of course I'm going to take it and pay my loan off quicker!

About Per Diem... can someone actually explain how it's a rip-off instead of just insisting it's a rip off?

Sure you get a smaller tax return, but you have some non-taxable income on every check.

If all people are going to do is insist it's a scam without explaining it, then who's the 'idiot'? I don't know a ton about it, but I'm not just going to knock it because I can.

I'm going to google it and compare it to the info Knight gave me and then I will decide wether or not I want to use it.

One thing's for sure in the internet age. People talk a bunch of crap about stuff.. according to many on here, the trucking industry is a waste of time and not a viable career... back up your claim before you shoot your mouth off and give people the wrong idea.

Let me give you an example.

People at another company a friend of mine worked for...

They sit at the terminal and don't take the runs they don't like.. "NO I won't go to NYC or the state of California"... then when another driver accepts those unwanted jobs, the SAME DRIVERS THAT REFUSED the load complain and say "THAT GUY STOLE MY JOB/LOAD"

See where I'm going with this. What I'm saying is.. people who simply moan and talk smack are usually totally ignorant and full of crap.

I challenge you to enlighten me. I'm not saying anyone here is definitely full of crap... get it?

Thanks

8. American-Trucker

Nov 8, 2009

did you read the thread at all?

Reasons why Per Diem is a scam:

1. Less Taxible income (you can't prove how much your really made)
    2. Less money put into your SS
    3. Smaller Tax Return
    4. Your not getting the Full Per Diem like you would had you waited till tax time to claim it
    5. Trucking companies WILL NOT go out of there way and pay a driver more for ANY reason! PERIOD I dont care how good a company is, Trucking has a VERY narrow profit margin they are NOT going to just give it away. If all these companies (only big sheety companies offer Per Diem BTW) are doing this and not the good companies.....i wunder why?

Theres probably more bad things about it, but thats what i know about it, and that enough to keep me from working for a company that offers it....

American Trucker

9. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The basic problem with the per diem is:

Reduced gross wage when you are injured and need workmen's comp.

Reduced gross wage when buying a house.

Reduced gross wage and the affect with credit card balances.

Reduced Social Security earnings.

The true way of utilizing a per diem plan is to make it voluntary.

Many people will not find the above to be a problem.

If no mortage and only the per diem, there may not be much of a tax savings between the two methods.

Each person's case is different.

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  10. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, I just looked it up and I see some of the drawbacks now. I was already thinking I would opt out anyway...

Like I was saying, it's a subject I have no experience in yet. I'm only required to use Per Diem during my 3-6 weeks of training. I will definitely keep an eye on things during that time. I can switch Per Diem on and off any time I want. I'm probably going to cancel it and check out the difference.

I appreciate the posts on the subject!

11. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    oops... allow me to correct my statement... I can opt in or out of Per Diem anytime AFTER my training time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.