Tuition vs. Free training

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by joeayotte, Feb 21, 2019.

1. joeayotte

joeayotte Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2019
    I am seriously considering becoming a truck driver, possibly with a gas company here in PA. I have talked with somebody from a school which will cost $5000. I also am considering going to Maines or Willow Run, which offer free training, but require signing contracts with them to drive for their companies, I believe. Are there any drivers who can tell me their experiences with the free training and whether the tuition paid school is the best way to go? Thanks. Joe

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If someone really really wants to drive the free training is ok. That's what I did a long time ago. The downside is you are generally working for less money per mile, but you have job when finished.

If you pay yourself it's pretty expensive and you still need a job that will take a new driver without and driving history. They might still want you go with a trainer, if they have them because they hire new drivers without any experience. So you have more options on picking your own job, as long as they hire new drivers.

A lot of people think driving is so easy and just sign up for trucking. Then find out their is a lot to the job, and quite without thinking. If people want the free training then they have to be willing to finish what signed up for. If not they pay upfront themselves and people can quite or change job anytime they want.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Both options are ok. Depends on what type job you want. If you want food service jobs, just go OJT with Maines or Willow Run.
    What's the name of the gas company you're interested in? Does the company hire new cdl school graduates?

5. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Here one of the trucking company tricks they pull. The only tell haft the story. I worked for one that said 1 day off for every week. I worked 8 weeks and cool, I get 8 days off. Then they say it 3 day limit if you want to keep your truck. If you want 8 days you have clean out the truck and bring it back to them. 1,800 miles away. Stuff like that makes people quite.

6. joeayotte

joeayotte Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2019
    Thank you. This is what I am looking for. Joe

7. joeayotte

joeayotte Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2019
    We have Cabot and I think Chesapeake. Probably some others further away. Gas companies are starved for drivers, I was told. Looks like they will hire anybody that is breathing isn`t on dope.Thank you. Joe

8. joeayotte

joeayotte Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2019
    I appreciate your advice. Thank you!

9. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Wadhams Enterprises might have some type of tanker work in your area. Check the website. They hire new cdl graduates. Which city/town are you near in PA?
    Wadhams - Official Site
    www.wadhams.com

10. joeayotte

joeayotte Bobtail Member

Feb 21, 2019
    About 30 mile south of Binghamton in eastern Susquehanna county PA. I looked at the website and will give them a call when I can. Thank you. Joe

Chinatown Thanks this.
  11. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    there IS NO free training. that contract you sign, to work for the company for x amount of time, is your payback..leave before that time expires, and they nail you with the cost of training.

there is NO FREE LUNCH.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.