Turbo lag C15

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Vipercat, Jul 22, 2019.

1. Vipercat

Vipercat Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2019
    Hey guys first post here,

I bought a 05 peterbilt 378 tri drive with the c15 twin turbo Acert. Truck had 926k Kms I’m not sure if it’s been rebuilt but I do know the previous owner (big fleet of blue and white trucks based out of Alberta) are pretty good with their maintenance and usually will sell their trucks, good shape or bad shape, when they round 1 million k.

I’ve only been running it a short while but I’ve recently noticed what I can only describe as “turbo lag”. Around 1200-1400 rpm the trucks boost seems to lag and get choppy. Around 1500 rpm it seems to feel fine and the boost is between 25-40 psi depending on how hard I’m pulling. In all honesty though I feel as though it should have a bit more power and the “choppiness” of the boost seems to be a factor in acceleration for sure. I’m wondering if it’s a wastegate issue, or if one of the turbos is done. Any ideas?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pushbroom

pushbroom Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Good running set of twins should net 55lbs boost. Fuel pressure, air in fuel, exhaust restriction, turbo condition, CEL, intake restriction, boost pressure leaks, exhaust leaks - turbo bellows, all affect engine performance and should be checked.

TheBaron97, spsauerland and A5¢ Thank this.
  4. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    Look at any discharge elbows on the compressor side. If they have hold down clamps and O-rings sealing the elbow to the turbo, give them a wiggle.

The single turbo 2WS cat i drive had worn the turbo's discharge end inner diameter from vibration, and the orings flattened with age. Created pretty big boost leak.

A5¢ Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.