Turning right with fuel tanker

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by darkyoung, Dec 2, 2023.

1. darkyoung

darkyoung Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2023
    I'm new to fuel transportation. How can I make a right turn with tanker in the intersection with tandem all the way back.

Attached Files:

• t1.jpg
      t1.jpg
      File size:
      214.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    Don't tell -- let me guess -- you're pretty new to driving ANY big rig -- and not just fuel, right? :confused:

Watch the following video:

Turns in a big rig

-- L

4. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    This can’t be real , your kidding right ? The answer is your shouldn’t be pulling a tanker if you have that question in all honesty you shouldn’t be driving a truck period

5. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Slide the tandems up…
    Let us know how that works for you.

6. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Grease or oil …

Kyle G. Thanks this.
  7. mitrucker

mitrucker Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Lapeer, MI
    It’s a 43’ trailer. They turn very nicely compared to a 53’ van.

Bud A., aussiejosh, snowwy and 4 others Thank this.
  8. TNSquire

TNSquire Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Decatur, TN
    It depends on the intersection.
    I’m going to assume you’re new to trucking and to gas for my explanation.
    The factors are many, but I’ll cover basic ways that i use.
    If traffic is a problem, and you can’t use the oncoming turn lane, then split the lanes as you approach the turn. Go as far as you can before bending it and spin that steering wheel like you stole it to gain as much real estate for your tandems as possible, and be as close to the oncoming cars as you dare. Go very slowly so you can correct before you have a problem.
    I have two intersections that are extremely tight that i frequent, and this is the best solution I’ve come up with.
    The hard part is cars over the stop line stealing real estate from your turn radius.
    More than once I’ve watched that driver of the car freak out when i bend my tractor and pass within inches of their front bumper.
    Funny thing is i make those two turns a couple times a week, and have for the past couple years. I’ve got the geometry down pretty solid. Only once have i had to stop and back slightly to bend it tighter to make the turn without curbing the snot out of it.
    Second option is 3 left turns, if possible. Go past your desired intersection, take the next left, then another left, and the 3rd left puts you on the lane to enter that place where you wanted to turn in the first place.
    Or figure out how to come from the opposite direction so you have a left turn instead of right turn.
    Again, so many factors apply here that it’s difficult to address them all.
    If you have a satellite image of that intersection, i can try and be more specific on how i would do it.
    Hauling gas, you sometimes need to be very creative on routing and approach to your drops.
    Yes, people will be irritated and play chicken with you, but just wave and smile. They always move.
    I have entered the store via the exit lane, i have called ahead to have them block pumps off, and I’ve used my cones to block off access so i could properly position my truck to drop.
    My line of thought is, how can i do this as safely and smoothly as possible? What do i need to achieve this? In the grand scheme, I’m only there at the station for 45 minutes max. The delivery I’m putting in will cover them for hours.
    It’s a minor inconvenience to their customers for me to be in there to drop the fuel they’ll want all day.
    On routing, i pull gps directions and go through the entire route, and identify those areas i think will be a problem.
    I come up with a base plan in my head, how to approach, what I’m looking for to turn safely, and find secondary options if I’m blocked or it looks too tight to pull it safely.
    Most stores i know by heart. New stores I’ll call another driver that’s done it, or I’ll do my satellite image process to figure it out before i leave the rack.
    You get no points for screwing up.
    Having a plan before you roll and then executing it smartly is a hallmark of a gas hauler.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2023
  9. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    The same way you do with any other trailer, if you don't know how to do that then please for everyone sake park and get a different job

Lav-25 and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  10. Ex-Trucker Alex

Ex-Trucker Alex Heavy Load Member

Jan 7, 2023
    People do turns like that every day, and have for decades. Why are you wasting our time???

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  11. NightWind

NightWind Road Train Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Sunny South, AL
    It sounds like one of those people that post to see what reaction they can get. What's the word I am looking for hmm catfishing something like that

Lav-25 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.