U.S Express here i come...

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by jimnfor, Dec 27, 2007.

1. jimnfor

jimnfor Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    sherman, tx
    i'll break it down for ya. finished orientation Jan.4th, got my truck that day as well. got my 1st load the 6th(sunday) and ran 2400miles my first week, thats fine for me considering the time of year. havent had any issues with equipment or pay. just keep in mind this is what you make it and your level of tolerance will determine how good you do in this industry.
    good luck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. seansolo

seansolo Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Cambridge, Ohio
    I signed on to go to Roadmaster school in Colmbus, OH today. US Xpress recruiter Chuck was there so I sat in and listened to him. I already had my eyes on them as potential employer and I liked what this guy had to say. He was a straight shooter and I didn't smell alot of BS coming from him.

He said he wasn't going to lie, it's not easy work, it's a rough lifestyle and money is what you make of it. If you want a job you might not make as much, but if you want to work then you can make money.

I'm curious to hear from other US Xpress drivers how they feel about the company, the trucks, etc. Especially those pulling Dollar General trailers out of Zanesville.

4. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana

There is plenty of information on this site about this company... I posted in the company dac report on my experience with them...

Sorry but this part is BS with just about all large companies (even small as well) Let me explain.. There is going to be plenty of times where you want to work and they are going to tell you.. Sorry we have nothing for you..

Only if they have it and you want to work then you will make money..

The biggest thing about companies like this is you have to spend time and learn the system.. You have to make the system work for you.. Its not as simple as "but if you want to work then you can make money".. You have to put a lot of effort into getting the work from the company as well..

You are talking to a recruiter and they are just that a recruiter.. They are not going to fill you in 100%, they are going to tell you enough to get you in.. I am not speaking just about USX here, this is with all companies..

5. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    jimnfor, what equipment do you have?

Kinghunter

6. johnn5272000

johnn5272000 Light Load Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Bloomington in
    I talked to USEXPRESS at a truck show once and they called me many times I like that at least it shows they are on the ball in recruiting. I figure if there aggressive there it might carry through to the company

7. Tip

Tip Tipster

Mar 18, 2006
    ON STRIKE
    And what does trucking company recruiter BS smell like, exactly? Even if it did have an odor, you haven't been in trucking before. Trucking BS from a recruiter has its own unique aroma that you won't see, er, SMELL, in any other industry. Unfortunatley, your olfactory receptors aren't capable of detecting it yet. It will take a few bold-face recruiter lies before you're acclimated to the stench.

You're only replacing last week's quitters at USEx by the sound of testimonies I've read here. They're sucking you in just like they've done all those other guys in the past that you aren't thinking about right now. Guys who quit 'em for good reasons.

I'd keep looking. Well, wait a second. Keep looking UNLESS you can get your training for FREE there with no obligations/indentured slavery. I'm skeptical, but I've heard you can at USEx. If they'll pay for your training with no obligations, definitely go with them. This way you can walk away at anytime without having to pay for the training. If you DO have to pay for training, tell the recruiter 'thanks, but no thanks.' There are better outfits in the universe than USEx. Those outfits aren't gonna make it nice and easy for you to get a job with them, and this assumes they're even hiring. Why do you think some companies wouldn't be hiring? Why do you NOT see their recruiters at the mills making it all nice and easy for you? Answer those questions and you'll have reached trucking industry enlightenment.

8. jimnfor

jimnfor Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    sherman, tx
    ive been with USX for 3months now. all the big box companies are the same, thats any company with more than 150 trucks. the reason for this is YOU are just a #. thats all you will ever be. the company isnt concerned with your hometime, they arent concernded that you cant find a customer(even when they are the ones that gave you the directions) they dont care about road construction/traffic/shipper delays. the freight is all they are worried about and rightly so, thats how they make money. and you are just an expendable means to get it from one point to the next.
    im not jaded at all, these are just some observations ive made in my short time driving.
    like ive said before, TOLERANCE and PATIENCE are key traits to have in this industry.
    as far as USX, the miles are not abundant. this company consist of short runs, majority under 500mi. and that is a very time consuming way to make a paycheck, in my opinion.

9. JWinNC

JWinNC Light Load Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Mills River, NC
    Where in NC did you have orientation? Just curious.

10. seansolo

seansolo Light Load Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Cambridge, Ohio
    The thing I have noticed about this message board is it seems to be 90% negative and 10% positive.

So does that mean 90% of the entire industry is bad?

Or just that 90% of the posters are just griping?

It also seems no matter which company you look into there is alot of bad stuff posted there.

Any "good" companies I'm not going to be able to work for for a year or two once I get my CDL, because I won't have the experience yet.

So I am more or less stuck starting with a USX/Schneider/JB/Werner/Swift to get the first job and the experience. All of those companies, and other big ones that hire newbies, have tons more negative said about them than positive.

Not to mention I don't have $6000 laying around to pay for my schooling. I'm going to need help with that.

I'm 39, I am too old to go to a college for two years or four years to get a degree in something I may or may not find a job with. I need to start earning more money soon for my family and my house.

I am sure that most guys entering the professional motor carriers industry are in a similar situation as me.

All that said, I am here looking for information to hopefully make an informed decision as to where to start.

At least I feel picking a school to get my CDL versus company training is a good start.

So if not USXpress than who else is a good place for a newbie with a crisp, new CDL-A and $6000 debt (and house payment) to get their start?

11. JimF

JimF "If you got it, flaunt it"

Jan 29, 2008
    Salisbury NC
    Remember, not all drivers are on this forum, and all people on this forum are not drivers. I would venture to guess that there are only a very small percentage of OTR drivers on here. And like air travel, where you hear about the few crashes and near misses, but not about the thousands of routine, safe flights, your gonna hear more negative than good here, in general. So most drivers are out there working and not here posting and, if not happy with their present company, are at least satisfied.

I would suggest trying to go through school on your own, if at all possible, so you aren't locked in with a company. Check with your state's employment security commision about grants or other options for paying for school. If you do that, you're choices will be a little better, as there are companies that will take new grads even though they don't have their own school. Then get on with a company and stick with them for at least 6 months, and better if for a year. After that, your options are greatly increased.

Good luck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.