u-turn or not to turn

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by stylicho, Jan 20, 2007.

1. jamwadmag

jamwadmag Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Who's co. policies & procedures did u get this from?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    some of you guys are GREAT drivers.
    as my buddy and i were standing in my yard grilling one day,a rig went past my house and continued on into a cul-de-sac that curved 180 deg. went 5-8 houses further and then was a SMALL cul_de_sac turnaround.
    i started laughing my butt off .when friend asked why, i just said "watch he will come backing out of there in a minute. because it is a small area with not much room to turn around an SUV, much less a truck with a full size trailer" needless to say my jaw hit the GROUND when he came out HEAD FIRST!! after only a minute or two!! (not enough time to do much "pulling up" ) we were amazed at his ability

4. jamwadmag

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    Yeah, but did you see the 4 yards he tore up making that turn! LOL

5. notarps4me

notarps4me Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2007
    NASA HQ

I wonder how many cars and fire hydrants he moved? :toothy10:

6. panhandlepat

panhandlepat Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2007
    NADDA, there were drag marks on the concrete from the rubber but that was all we saw. (i had to go look LOL darn rubberneckers)

7. jamwadmag

Feb 28, 2006
    Desert Southwest
    The key to missing the fire hydrants is make sure that your 'DOT bumper clears' it, everything else will!! And, if not, it's only H2O...LOL

8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    And that gets more risky the further forward your trailer axles are.

Fortunately, since I drive a single axle tractor with a 34' trailer, I can do a u-turn in the middle of a two-lane, as long as there are shoulders present, that is. Done it many times.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Who is stupid enough to try and do a 180 through an emergency crossover with a truck?

10. Slowpoke98908

Slowpoke98908 Bobtail Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Yakima, WA
    In the city if I miss a turn I look for a nice large area to turn around in. In the country I take a left turn on a cross street and wind up in the left lane. Then I can back up with traffic. Makes it even better if there is a light. Light turns green you back up with your flashers and lights on. This way nobody gets behind you. Even works in the Bronx when you come up to a low bridge, although trying to back into the left lane was tough but I got it.

davetiow Thanks this.
  11. Stormcroe

Stormcroe Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Hubbard, OH
    Here we go when in the City 2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 lefts do. Try going around the block. If on a 4 lane go to the next exit. Any other situation go until you CAN find a SAFE place to turn around. In NJ that is usually a jug handle. STAY OFF THE GARDEN STATE PARKWAY RAMPS! ("Long Story"). I don't care if you have to go 20mls out of route to turn around. It's better than doing 10 to life.

Storm Crow

davetiow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.