Uber’s Re-Evaluation of Freight Follows Steep Losses

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by autopaint, May 19, 2020.

1. autopaint

autopaint Light Load Member

Jul 26, 2019
    Uber Technologies Inc.’s truck-brokerage business has helped reshape freight brokerage, but it might not be doing enough to shore up the finances at its parent company.

The ride-hailing giant, reeling from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, is re-evaluating its Uber Freight operation as it slashes jobs and cuts costs, in an effort that includes a new look at its costly bets on noncore business lines. Uber didn’t say what actions it is considering as it evaluates the business.

The freight operation, like the main passenger business of its parent, has had a significant impact on its market but has been hard-pressed to turn its gains into profits. Uber Freight lost $64 million in the first quarter despite a 57% jump in revenue, to $199 million, from the same period in 2019.

Uber Technologies Inc.’s truck-brokerage business has helped reshape freight brokerage, but it might not be doing enough to shore up the finances at its parent company.

The ride-hailing giant, reeling from the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, is re-evaluating its Uber Freight operation as it slashes jobs and cuts costs, in an effort that includes a new look at its costly bets on noncore business lines. Uber didn’t say what actions it is considering as it evaluates the business.

The freight operation, like the main passenger business of its parent, has had a significant impact on its market but has been hard-pressed to turn its gains into profits. Uber Freight lost $64 million in the first quarter despite a 57% jump in revenue, to $199 million, from the same period in 2019.

Uber Freight and its digital rivals are still small players compared with the sector’s biggest operators. In 2019, digital freight brokers accounted for about 2% of the $83 billion domestic transportation market, which includes brokerage and other logistics services, according to research firm Armstrong & Associates.

But their push to use technology to make booking freight transportation more efficient has pushed competitors to step up their digital investments.

Big transportation companies are spending billions on automation that can both improve service and help brokers add revenue without hiring more people.

But coronavirus lockdowns have crippled demand in the sector, sending freight volumes spiraling downward.

“It doesn’t matter if you’re a digital freight broker like Transfix or Conovy or Uber, or somebody like C.H. Robinson or XPO Logistics, ” said Evan Armstrong, president of Armstrong & Associates. “Everybody feels the pain.”

Uber’s Re-Evaluation of Freight Follows Steep Losses

Western flyer Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    Last in first out (LIFO) in action. They didn’t bring anything to the table - load boards existed before them, and were working just fine.

RubyEagle Thanks this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    In general they have some of the cheapest type of freight. I wonder how low did they go to get the contracts?

5. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Cheap and heavy. Signed up, never used.

86scotty Thanks this.
  6. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Cheap enough. They were trying the Amazon approach of capturing market share with capital expenditure. The problem is that the market is so fractious, large, and spread out that it was doomed to fail. They couldn't do to the rest of us what Amazon did to Barnes and Noble and other Brick and Mortar bookstores, or a host of other businesses over the years. Uber never had that kind of expendable capital.

86scotty, p608 and 062 Thank this.
  7. Midwest Trucker

Midwest Trucker Road Train Member

Aug 31, 2018
  8. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am curious what their overhead is to run at such a loss.
    People they hire to answer calls are oversees and they must be dirt cheap. So does Convoy
    The very brokers with 100s k salaries... might be too many of them and many of them contributing too little.
    I think that part of the problem is that they tried to build a mega brokerage from the top. Now they have to deal with internal issues.
    At least the facade looks good. The pay on time and the app is nice. Their problem tackling is somewhat lacking...if you take an Uber load better hope for no major issues.
    My feeling is that they will figure it out. Their and Convoy's way is the inevitable direction for the masses of dry vans chasing freight.

9. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    While I wouldn't be sorry to see Uber go bye bye, I still believe that the format that Uber and Convoy are using is going to shape the way we all book loads in the future. This week I did my first brokered load in almost a year. While it paid great and the broker was great to work with, there are so many more steps than using a phone app to book a load, it really is a PITA. From signing a ratecon, to installing their app so they could track the load in real time, to choosing between getting paid in 30 days, or paying 5%, filling out numerous forms, and submitting a voided check just to get my money within a week. All of that is automatic and instant with the phone apps including TONU and detention. There should be a phone app with all of those features where brokers can post loads. Maybe there is and I don't know of it yet.

For anybody who does use Uber right now, you might consider not using them. If they happen to go bankrupt and cease operations without notice, and if you haven't been paid for a load, you're screwed.

Freddy57, Western flyer and Doealex Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.