UK trucker in Oz after some advice

Discussion in 'Australian Truckers Forum' started by JonnyCrumps, Nov 14, 2017.

  1. JonnyCrumps

    JonnyCrumps Bobtail Member

    Nov 14, 2017
    Hey guys and gals just wondering if you guys can help point me in the right direction. I'm a 29 yr old man from the UK and have driven trucks back in the UK for about 4 years but currently in Australia on a working/holiday visa. I have heard there is a shortage in Australia and called a training school and they quoted me $1800 to re test in HC manual (double d clutching) in Australia but it sounded quite a lot considering I am able to drive class 2 (32 tons rigid) and class 1 up to (44 tons combination) in the uk. Does this sound correct to you guys? Also are there any particular companies I should apply to or main companies or do you think I should just go to an agency and start from the beginning as a new driver? I have also read online that in Nsw (based in Sydney atm) there will be an independent assessor whare as in all the other states your truck driving instructor can pass you which sounds a little easier, if this is true. I am happy to learn the Oz way and start earning. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks all jon
  2. Chinatown

    Chinatown Road Train Member

    Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    There's an Australian truckers thread on here.
    Scroll down to the bottom of the "forums titles" until you see it.
    d o g Thanks this.
  3. aussiejosh

    aussiejosh Road Train Member

    Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Just remember your speaking to aussies mate its blokes and sheilas ok, what you need to do is inform the driving school of your previous driving experience and they should not have to charge you those huge fees which to me sound quite expensive, all driving schools here charge an hourly rate and most lessons will at least 1 hr or far as getting work on a working holiday your not supposed to get permanent work so going through an agency would be the way to go, Labourforce is one and 1800driver is another.
  4. orcen

    orcen Heavy Load Member

    Jun 30, 2013
    Brisbane, QLD Australia
    I had 10 years exp in Canada and paid $1400 for 9 hours training + road test.

    Since you're already familiar with driving on the right side of the cab you don't need the full course, just a 3 hour block @ $120/hr + road test fees if you're comfortable enough to test right away.

    Also the odds are slim of getting a truckie job on a temp visa.
  • Draft saved Draft deleted