Unable to join any CDL school due to bad employment history

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Riotside, Jul 15, 2022.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I agree 1000000%. If the OPs income is low or nonexistent the OP can apply for a grant and have this pay for getting the CDL. No pre-hire letters are needed. As I stated in my first comment some of these trade schools have good connections with the carriers and can help the OP get hired.

One last point. For some reason, I am yet to fully understand some carriers misread Subparts B and C of part 391 as well as Subpart C to Part 383. To the best of my knowledge, there is no rule about having too many jobs in the job history. It's also not much of an insurance issue either, because almost all mega carriers self-insure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CaliRaised

CaliRaised Light Load Member

Dec 20, 2021
    @Chinatown posted about WIOA program. This is the route that I went. Here is what I suggest:

Find a trucking school that you know is accepted by WIOA program (a list can be found online). Go to that school and speak with an admissions counselor there. Tell them that you want to use WIOA. They will probably have a connection or two. Ask if they may suggest which state employment office to use. I started the process by going to the employment office closest to my house. When I spoke with the admissions counselor at the school, she told me that I would be waiting forever with that office. She gave me the address for an office about 2 hours away, as well as the name of the contact for WIOA at that office. I got into school a few months later. (Would have been sooner, if not for COVID-19 hitting in March 2020.) Started school in June 2020. Best of luck to you.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
    Reason for edit: Typo
    tscottme and Riotside Thank this.
  4. CaliRaised

Dec 20, 2021
    The reason for using the employment history as part of the vetting process is because people with unstable work history are less likely to stay with the company for a long duration. Those companies are trying to limit the number of people who use the company to get training and then bolt. Sure, they can require the trainee to pay the company back, but that's time and money spent in doing so. Besides, there are some who will just ignore the notices sent in the mail and the phone calls.

MSWS Thanks this.
  5. AgPilot1

AgPilot1 Light Load Member

May 29, 2022
    You could join the Army and let them train you. In 3 years you would have job and driving history and could go to most any trucking company you wanted to.

DRTDEVL and Freddy57 Thank this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    SEABEES - Navy
    [​IMG][​IMG]

MSWS Thanks this.
  7. MSWS

MSWS Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2022
    [​IMG]

tscottme Thanks this.
  8. CaliRaised

Dec 20, 2021
    That's a rather drastic move just to get a CDL. The problem with that is that a person may choose a career field, but there is no guarantee of being assigned a MOS that requires a class A CDL. Once signing the enlistment papers, there is no going back, whether one likes the specific MOS or not.

This is coming from a US Marine Corps veteran.

MSWS Thanks this.
  9. AgPilot1

AgPilot1 Light Load Member

May 29, 2022
    That’s not the way it works in the Army.
    In the Army you can get a guaranteed MOS. In this case 88M is heavy truck driver and qualifies for a CDL after 2 years without any testing.

tscottme Thanks this.
  10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Same with the Navy.

11. CaliRaised

Dec 20, 2021
    Would it automatically be a class A? If not, kind of a waste of time. Going from a class B to a class A is no different than going from non-commercial license to commercial.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.