uneven brake shoe wear

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by rollin coal, May 1, 2010.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I wasnt being cheap. I would have done it right but some things you learn the hard way. I grease my truck every other week. This is my first truck and I'm learning. I really appreciate the help I didn't know how to check the S cam bushings.

insertnamehere Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I just checked it and both brakes on the rear axle need new s-cam bushings. The front axle was fine but I'm going to replace those as well. Thanks to everyone!

4. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    Good to hear you grease your vehicle, If you have a question ask and someone will answer, the hard part is to find out who knows and who does not. If i sounded skeptical, I worked in shops for 40 plus years and in all that time I can count on one hand the numbers of operators that asked to repair their truck, grease it or anything else. Clean the zerts before you grease and if one leaks out grease replace it. Just a thought!

5. lastgoodusername

lastgoodusername Medium Load Member

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    grease is the best insurance you can buy!

6. lastgoodusername

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    before you rush into replacing them you may want to just ride them out till brake job time. you may not be able to remove the s cams without removing the hubs. not a big job in itself , but still, rebuild the whole axle end at the same time. brakes, seals, bushings, that sorta thing. of course this is all dependent on the amount of shoe you have left. but i'm guessing if you have a noticeable difference between the bottom there is a good bit of miles on the brakes anyway. free advice and worth every penny.

7. lastgoodusername

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    almost forgot, the bushings will need replacement , but you may also need to replace the s cams. there is a left and right side. when you start this job , make sure it is on a weekday. that way if , when you tear into it, if you need cams , you can get them and not find this tiny bit of info out on sunday afternoon and mess up you haul schedule for scheduled maint. that turns into unscheduled maint. johnny

8. rollin coal

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    I've already got 2 bushing kits. I dont know what the s-cams look like but I've decided to just go ahead and replace those as well. The previous owner of the truck put 700000+ miles on the original shocks i have doubts about the s-cams being good. The shoes still have some life but the bottom ones are worn bad the guy that's helping me do it said he'd have to look but I might end up having to replace those. will it be necessary to change the top shoes too? they are fine i'd rather not.. it seems like the dragging goes away at about 25mph but i can really hear it slower i'll be glad to get everything right this weekend.

9. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Easy for me to spend your money, but i would change everything. The money you will save aint worth trading for satisfaction of having good brakes. And there is to much liability nowadays, to take the chance. The place to save money on brakes is with the brake pedal (or lack of).

dieselbear Thanks this.
  10. HEAVY DUDE

HEAVY DUDE Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NUNYA
    Very good advice.

11. lastgoodusername

Dec 18, 2008
    central NC
    replace both shoes. that's why i was saying that if you have life left in your shoes, hold off on this maint unitil you need to replace the brakes. get the life out of the shoe, a core is a core. rebuild the entire wheel end while you have things apart , it will save lots down the road. plan your maint so that you are only removing pieces one time. johnny

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.