Uneven tire wear issue

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Bains, May 31, 2020.

1. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Tires are scam ripoff 200$ for something to wear uneven unless rotate them every other mile how long have they had to figure out how to make tires?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    In the big picture, most of the time irregular tire wear isn’t because of the actual tire.

Bains and feldsforever Thank this.
  4. Mid-May Trucker

Mid-May Trucker Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2018
    Most the time it is a 4 inch spot on one of the tread lines what was the problem there
    One time i had middle tread go down before outer and tire was always at 95psi

5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Was the wear on the inside edge of an inside tire similar to the pic on this thread? That is generally a wheel end issue such as play in the wheel bearing. Axle flex also causes irregular wear if your truck is spec’d with light axle housings. Once you develop irregular wear it can be made worse if your shocks are worn because they can’t compensate enough.

What made you decide to run 95psi? I’m assuming you’re talking about running your drives at 95 and not your steers.

6. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    A lot of the lack of mileage issues stem from what happened with the ‘99 Firestone recall. Some of the tires recalled were close to 10 years old with 70-80,000 miles and 8 to 10/32’s of depth left on them. They were on the vehicles way too long because they would not wear out. (General Tire had a model in the 90’s that would get 60,000 and still have half its tread left.) They failed from material degradation due to age.
    So the tire industry decided to cya and compound tires to wear faster to get them worn and disposed of quicker. They cut that time in half. 5 Less years and less time to fail.
    It also didn’t help that the “green” movement and california “smartway” mandate outlawed the use of many chemicals that were used in compounds to make them get better mileage without cracking apart. Lower rolling resistance has proven to not guarantee to give you more miles.
    One major manufacturer now uses “orange oil”( yes from oranges )in there compounds to combat ozone cracking damage.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  7. zep1218

zep1218 Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2016
    Agawam
    Yoko just had a big tire recall going on..my brand new drives lasted about 4 mos. wasn't from the Mississippi plant, but,even still..I'm not touching Yoko's for a while.you have to call their customer service number to find out what's up. good luck..funny thing it's only the steers that are doing that.my drives are in great shape.

Bains and feldsforever Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.