Unimark Truck Transport - Kenosha, Wi.

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by silverlilyprods, Apr 2, 2007.

1. ktut

ktut Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2013
    Thanks for the info

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. derekfoster75

derekfoster75 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2013
    Charlotte NC
    No offense, but if these companies are soooo bad, why not report them to osha? I mean, all I hear is negative this and that, but what about the ones complaining? Its 2 sides to every story. Instead of just asking disgruntled former workers, ask people who are happy and succeeding at these places. Cause 9 times out of 10, the ones ones complaining the most could be lying.

4. DirkSteel

DirkSteel Light Load Member

Jul 5, 2013
    50 states/Many countries
    If you are referring to anything I said you are reading me wrong. I am very happy here but the work is very, very hard and getting around the country can be difficult depending on where your final drop is.

I wasn't complaining about anything, only being honest!

Most drivers who don't last more than a few weeks didn't really know what they were getting into. By being honest I hope to help potential drivers avoid making a mistake!

5. derekfoster75

Oct 7, 2013
    Charlotte NC
    No Sir. I wasnt referring to you. Your post is the only one I found helpful. Actually I would like YOUR advice as I am wanting to get with Unimark here in charlotte nc.

6. DirkSteel

Jul 5, 2013
    50 states/Many countries
    You're in a perfect spot as there are loads originating out of NC.

Go online to the Unimark website and send emails to the recruiter expressing interest. They may not reply right away but keep trying. I called half a dozen times and sent several emails. Unimark's recruiter does other duties besides recruiting.

If you need benefits Unimark won't work for you. They are serious about the independent contractor status and that means we have to provide our own benefits!

7. derekfoster75

Oct 7, 2013
    Charlotte NC
    Thank you so much Sir...I have quite a few questions if you dont mind.

8. derekfoster75

Oct 7, 2013
    Charlotte NC
    Whats the most miles I can do a week. And realistically what is the most I can bring home if I go and get it

9. Flatbedn

Flatbedn Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2012
    Missouri
    I wasn't complaining in my post. I just stated I left because no security of getting where you need to go.

As for miles doing drive away, that all depends on your mode of transportation after you deliver, tow car, bus etc.

10. derekfoster75

Oct 7, 2013
    Charlotte NC
    DirkSteel...

Whats the tricks of the trade in selecting routes? And its perfect for me, my kids are grown and I live alone. My plan is to be out and get 2500 to 2800 miles per week. Realistically how much you think I can bring home

11. DirkSteel

Jul 5, 2013
    50 states/Many countries
    The only trick is to keep moving and it's solely up to the contractor to figure out how to do that. You get a load, deliver it then call around to the terminals around the country to see who has loads and go there.

That is where most new contractors have trouble. They just can't figure out how to move around after the load is delivered or they hate that expense. Can you handle a $200 cab ride to the airport for a $500 airfare and another cab ride on the other end? It happens just that way sometimes.

It's expensive getting started. I have almost $1000 invested in tools with more to come. You also have to pay your own way to training and all expenses while there. Startup cost keep a lot of drivers from even giving it a shot.

Lastly theres the work involved decking/undecking trucks. I haven't worked this hard since I was in my 20's. You don't just drive up and hand them the keys. You work like a dog. At one site I overheated and passed out. Something that had never happened before. When I came to the customer expected me to finish the job and I did. I've made a few changes since then like Gatorade every day.

Are you in shape? Can you crawl under and work under a truck? If not, don't bother applying. One thing you notice right away is the work involved in the undecking process keeps the out of shape drivers and women from doing this. I've met a hundred haul away drivers. Only one was female and she team drives with a male partner who does all the heavy lifting. Out of shape drivers don't last too long if they get through training at all.

As as far as picking routes, the terminals will tell you what they have when you physically arrive on the property. They will only tell you on the phone that they have loads or they do not have loads. You show up and choose one or wait for something better.

Heres something you you need to prepare yourself for. The terminals are rife with favoritism. All of them. If the list of runs looks pretty bleak at times it's because the really lucrative runs have been saved or assigned to favorites. New drivers are never favorites. It's just a fact of this life! You may have to pull a couple lesser loads for a terminal to get one good one. Make up your mind right now you'll be willing to do that and accept that truth or don't bother applying. You can't fight that system. If you do they'll starve you out. It is what it is and it's the same at all drive away companies.

As as far as miles per week most customers we have do not accept weekend deliveries. Most are 9-5 M-F operations. This can hinder miles if you can't get there in time to undeck and be done before they go home, especially on Fridays. Yes, I've been stranded in a city waiting for the Monday opening. The aforementioned favoritism holds down miles too.

All that said, I could never go back to otr. I love what I'm doing despite the warts it has. I haven't met with the accountant yet but after taxes I'm way ahead of where I was doing otr. I can't give you a mileage # because of all the variables and the fact that there are no paid empty miles. Don't expect to average 2500-2800 miles a week and doing it all legally. Yes there are drivers running dirty using multiple companies/log books etc. and you can do that too if that's what you're all about. Yes you can work for more than one company. Almost all of us do that. Nothing wrong with that and all the haul away companies understand that's an option we need for when things get slow at their companies. I'm talking about using that to cheat on the log. I don't cheat so my miles aren't nearly what some are able to do. Don't get caught though. You're fired if you do. You go from lucrative to $0 in an instant! All the haul away companies are trying to improve their CSA scores to get a better share of the market.

Hope this helps. I'm not complaining. I'm warning! I LOVE doing this. I just wish someone had mentioned the above so I didn't have to learn some of it the hard way.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.