Union jobs

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by FFL Trucker, May 23, 2021.

1. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    You keep believing that. Walking away from what they offer is not negotiating, you will get offered what everybody else gets offered, take it or leave it.

scottied67, Rideandrepair and Dennixx Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Please..you sound somewhat delicate and easily upset.
    Why would they?
    They are elected on a pro labor platform and would not be long for the position if they lied to their constituency.

Exactly...it's called a labor UNION!
    A collective bargaining GROUP!
    What don't you understand?
    Do you understand the definition of cause and effect?
    You stated in a non union environment the worker is free to negotiate individually with management to request a wage increase.
    How do you reconcile when you get stiffed?
    Or when the boss's sil gets a bump and not you.

You must be living in a fantasy world where companies are just throwing cash at rank and file upon request.
    We get it..
    You don't like a labor union!
    Fine with us.
    Like I said don't join one. Whether a right to work state or not. You sound like a person we (unionized) would not want as a coworker regardless.
    You can't project your misguided (imho) opinion on union membership, management intention or negative experience as fact, as it may be in your mind, but most likely is not to the 30+% of union members.
    Once again...Don't like a union don't support a union.
    Whether joining or pulling freight out of a union plant.
    Whether buying union made products or using services provided by any unionized faction.
    Have a good day.@ROCKINCHAIR

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    skinnytrucker, Rideandrepair and p608 Thank this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    It’s true. I support the right to organize, based on the Constitution, right to assemble. To each his Own. Lots of choices these days. Not as big a gap between wages. 30 yrs ago, Teamster pay was almost double, non union Drivers pay. Could hardly get a Union Driving job. So many had more Seniority, and had first shot at openings. It wasn’t uncommon for a Driver to have 5-7 or more prior Teamster jobs, till they “went out”. The Government accomplished its goal, through Deregulation. Now it’s basically Interesting history. On the other hand, I wouldn’t be able to do what I do now. Same Game, just a different tactic. I don’t think Drivers will ever Organize again. Once the highest percentage of any Job or Trade. It’s amazing how fast things have changed. The Rights that fought for, and the gains made, have made them lees needed. Reminds Me of the Old Union saying, don’t work yourself out of a Job. Seems the Unions did just that. Ironic. Ignorant Folks think all the worker protections were just given out, by the goodness of the Government, and Businesses hearts. Lot of people died, fighting for a decent wage, in almost every Industry.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    p608 and Dennixx Thank this.
  5. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Just because you walk away doesn't mean the negotiating is over with, it just means that you're done for today.

And if you decide that you're done with them, you walk away and you go negotiate with somebody else at a different place of employment.

6. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Not all politicians are elected on a pro labor platform. Many of us who are members of the labor force do not believe in the policies or philosophies of the candidates that unions give their members' money to. And the vast majority of politicians lie to their constituents.

This is not a matter of understanding; I understand everything perfectly. This is a matter of me disliking the fact that individuals are denied the ability to make choices and then act or refrain from acting upon those choices. It's like "you're just part of a group, nothing more, now shut up and pay up."

The fact that you are denied a request for a raise does not necessarily mean that you got stiffed; there are plenty of people who ask for raises who have not earned them. The last time I was denied a raise request I asked my manager how I could make myself more valuable to the company. I made all of the changes that were communicated to me, and 6 months later I again asked for a raise, which was approved.

And whatever happens between the boss's sister-in-law and the company is none of my business. She is a different employee than I am. She may be performing a different role, she may have more seniority, she may be taking on more responsibilities, etc. All of that is irrelevant to the work that I do and the money that I am paid to do said work.

No, I live in South Texas, where some companies compensate their employees well and some do not. I have worked for several of the latter before coming to work for one of the former. And I have negotiated with all of them, save for my current employer because I was very happy with their initial offer so I accepted it without countering.

I guess I just don't understand why people would be loyal to an organization that takes money from you while telling you to hate the organization that actually buys your labor.

I think I've made clear what I believe and why I believe it, so I'll say no more in this thread. The last word is yours if you want it.

7. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Never said all. We are all the "labor force."
    Doesn't matter who believes the policies or philosophies of any candidates since obviously the majority did if they were elected.
    All It took was a simple majority.
    And btw most people have lied. Not just politicians.

You sound like you'd be a very obedient employee..good on you.

Precisely...favoritism, personal relationships, job importance and responsibilities have NO bearing and are irrelevant in a unionized environment. Transparency in wage and earnings.

Would you still feel that way when others make twice your wage.
    When only seniority counts you have the better job and responsibilities and compensation you get. No sniveling, groveling or repetitively asking for more money.
    If you are happy then that is all that really matters right. As with most aspect of life.
    Therein lies the rub. Perception vs reality is a funny thing.
    Not sure how you arrived at the opinion that union members are told to hate the employer but despite your belief it has never been the case in my union membership.
    If I can, for a mere monthly dues payment, be able to be home each night, cover my family's medical, mental health and future financial needs while earning an above average wage per year, all while not presenting any financial drag on the company's bottom line, then I am all in.
    If you are not that's ok too.
    In America we still have choices.
    But as I stated before, you may want to divest yourself of any union backed services or products to remain a unabashed 100% nonunion supporter.
    This may or may not include your local municipal services ie police, trash and water services etc.
    I am clear on your union stance.
    But feel free to respond as I think a healthy respectful dialogue make for a clear mind.

Peace.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2021
  8. RockinChair

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    If you're okay with being paid the same as that guy who never writes up trailer issues, leaves trash in the truck and never fuels it up, and is constantly "losing" or "borrowing" others' fittings and tools...

It didn't bother me, I was just the new guy starting out and hadn't earned my stripes yet.

That's one of the main gripes people have about unionized workplaces. Those who F off and those who F up are protected and everyone else has to put up with it.

I'm making the most money I've ever made in my life with outstanding benefits, I drive a well-maintained Pete (that'll do 70 on the cruise) with less than 200k miles on it, I'm home almost every day, and my managers were drivers back when I first hired on with this company. Why wouldn't I be happy?

The incessant pushing of the "management versus labor" false dichotomy, derisively referring to management as "the man," etc.

I get all of that without having to pay monthly dues.
    And you're in abject denial if you think that all of that is "not presenting any financial drag on the company's bottom line." Payroll and benefits are line items in the company's budget. The amount of money they spend on labor directly impacts the bottom line in a negative way.

Unless you're in a closed-shop state.

9. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    So much for being done talking about it.

scottied67 and Dennixx Thank this.
  10. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Doesn't apply.
    Our equipment is slip seated as we are a 24/7/365 operation. And a burned out license plate, a bad seat or a check engine light gets the unit placed oos.
    Do we have guys whose post trip doesn't meet my standards? Of course but we all have different levels of cleanliness and what is proper, and if I do a better job than you it's ok cause I am being paid over 50 dollars per hour to post trip.
    Here you get hired because you have already "earned your stripes" so 1st day new hires are paid the same as a 30 year employee.
    Expectations are high and if you can't or won't meet the challenge you are gone.
    There is no union protection if you can't do the job correctly.
    As I said above....

Work ethic is individualized and doesn't matter to the person doing the job, union or not!
    You seem to have a very narrow viewpoint in the workings of a modern unionized workforce. Do some stereotypical joints still exist?
    Absolutely.
    Never said that you weren't happy bud.
    I too am a happy employee although I care more about my performance and compensation than what I drive or it's speed. I had a point in my career decades ago where that mattered...no more.
    I work union to provide for my family and the future period.
    I'm not independently wealthy and my doctor told me to push a rig across the nation for my health.

And my dispatchers couldn't differentiate between a semi truck and a tugboat to be honest.
    Have you been watching 70s movies or listening to Curtis Mayfield? Come on.."the man?"
    As it is I work for the world's largest industrial gas company. 26,000 employees and not all are union.
    Whose initial investments in air separation plants and equipment is returned as frequently as a presidential election. Whose dual CEO's make a combined 40 million plus. Whose 20 department presidents salary exceeds 1 million and whose local management gets paid >200K avg.
    Their raw material is free.
    They ain't hurting!

How in the world could you build and expand a business without the labor to maintain and deliver your product? Of course it costs!

We have a national budget and a plant budget.
    Our wages come out of the plant budget and are adjusted annually for our yearly raise. We currently are under budget due to not meeting our needed employee numbers.
    We are not even considered a trucking company by corporate, even though just 1 division operates 2600 units.
    You sound like you know someone's operation but not ours.
    All told the cost to operate, employee wage included, is already budgeted and does not impact profits as it is known in advance. What can't be budgeted is variable costs, fuel, breakdown and hotel etc.
    My dues cost me about 100 dollars a month and I earn an avg of 2700 each week..a mere pittance, and we are not close to the highest wage nationally at union barns.
    I have made nearly one half million dollars with my company's 6% match in just 11 years.
    I invest just15% each week in co. stock.
    Say what you will but the numbers don't lie.

Wrong.
    Even in a closed shop state, a red or blue state, you still have the freedom to chose to work where, when and how you want.
    But if you don't own it or make it with your own hands you always have to answer to someone.

p608 and scottied67 Thank this.
  11. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    It's all good. I enjoy the back and forth and maybe the chance to educate someone or dispel rumors about union work, at least at my plant.

p608 and scottied67 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.