Universal joint broke

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by ajp201, Jan 14, 2019.

1. ajp201

ajp201 Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2018
    That’s the best pic I got. It’s a tight squeeze down there. And from what I can tell, break looks jagged not smooth

Rideandrepair and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Going from no load on the driveline to a sudden hard force. The drive line has already built momentum and the rear end yoke stops it suddenly when the slack comes out. Sometimes the drive line keeps turning.

One example is rolling backwards slightly and giving it throttle in forward.

Rideandrepair, Lepton1 and AModelCat Thank this.
  4. ajp201

ajp201 Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2018
    This makes sense because I backed into my spot and put it in drive to pull forward a bit to straighten out and that’s when it went...

5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    For the first and I hope the last time, I drove an automatic over the last weekend. It was an experience like no other. The idiocy of programming required me (when on dry pavement) to floor it to get any real acceleration from a stop light, for example. The program would apply bursts of power in low range, then LONG pauses between shifts. If I tried even moderate throttle it would upshift to get the next gear at or below 800 rpm.

What has been your previous experience in regards to how this truck was set up for shifting points? I understand that the transmission can be programmed to have higher and therefore smoother shift points. I say smoother, because then a driver is able to ease back on the throttle to allow the transmission to execute shifts smoothly without getting into lugging the engine.

I absolutely think that YOU aren't the problem here. It's the idiots that specced the transmission parameters.

6. Superhauler

Superhauler TEACHER OF MEN

Jan 30, 2010
    keep stroking.
    That is from abuse not from lack of grease.

Diesel Dave and wore out Thank this.
  7. ajp201

ajp201 Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2018
    I’ve only had this truck two weeks so no idea about shifting points. Seemed to running fine since this happened. They’re sending me a manual so I can make my delivery today but it’s been about 8 months since I drove a stick in school... will have to get used to it again

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  8. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Thank Gawd you get to drive a real truck again. Pro tips: hold the shifter in your finger tips, it will help you to be gentle about pushing towards the next gear. Next, make your throttle adjustments millimeters at a time. Most newbies floor it or get completely off the throttle, while going all Mohammed Ali knockout jab at the gear. Easy on the throttle and easy with the shifter is the right way to do it. You will be able to tell the difference if you do it right. There won't be ANY stress on the drive train.

I said it before and I will say it again, the most likely cause of your drive shaft cutting loose is not your fault. It's most likely that the automatic was putting stress on it from hard shifts.

Thin necked pencil pushing bean counters shouldn't be allowed to get anywhere near speccing trucks.

Derailed, ajp201 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. ajp201

ajp201 Light Load Member

Jul 22, 2018
    I’m just gonna take it for a spin around the lot to get used to shifting again. Whenever they show up... and idk if the customer will even take me because I’m gonna be late for my delivery. What a mess.

10. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    It doesn't matter in regards to the customer delivery at this time. YOU did your job. You COMMUNICATED the situation with dispatch right away, right? Therefore the customer was informed.

The three most important things you should do in the event of a delay for ANY reason is:

1. Communicate.
    2. Communicate.
    3. Communicate.

You did that. You have no reason to worry.

ZVar, ajp201 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  11. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    That's excellent advice and the way they should be teaching these people at school. I tought my son to hold the shifter with 2 forefingers and thumb. He already knew not to mash the pedal down. Shifted like a pro in no time at all.

Lepton1, ajp201 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.