Unjust firing

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by NannyB, Sep 7, 2006.

1. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Given that sleep apnea is a *SLEEP* disorder, it's very possible to have it and not know it.

Sleep apnea is a disorder in which your breathing is interrupted for periods of 10 seconds or more while you are asleep. These interruptions may occur hundreds of times a night, causing you to gasp for air and disrupting your sleep.
    Some common symptoms of sleep apnea include:
    • Restless sleep
    • Loud, heavy snoring often interrupted by silence and gasps
    • Drowsiness or lack of energy, caused by the lack of sleep
    • Headaches in the morning
    • Irritability, forgetfulness, mood or behavior changes
    • Anxiety or depression
    There are two main types of sleep apnea:
    • Obstructive Sleep Apnea -- This type of sleep apnea is typically caused by an airway blockage and is more common. It occurs when the muscles in the wall of the throat relax during sleep, causing the walls to collapse and obstruct airflow.
    • Central Sleep Apnea -- Believed to be related to a malfunction of the brain's normal signal to breathe, with this type of sleep apnea the level of carbon dioxide in the blood rises, which may cause you to wake up.
    If sleep apnea is not treated, it can lead to other serious health problems, including:
    • Hypertension or high blood pressure
    • Heart related conditions such as coronary artery disease, myocardial infarction and stroke
    • Psychiatric problems such as depression
    • Impotence and lack of interest in sex
    • Cognitive dysfunction or memory loss
    Sorry but driving a truck is dangerious business and I for one don't want to be around a driver with this diorder on the road, nor would I drive for a living if I had this disorder.

I,too, have a c-pap. And, just to tickle the fancy, I'm told that come companies are installing c-pap machines in their cabs. The actions of the company in this regard (based on what we've been told, of course) are entirely reprehensible.

USX should not play games with their drivers , true. But If I owned a trucking company I would need to keep my insurance rates down to stay in business. Hiring or retaining people with serious medicial problems would not be condusive to this endevor.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Redraven_y2k

Redraven_y2k Bobtail Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Baltimore,Md
    It would be nice if you could sit at home just because you have a medical problem but for some people the most dangerous drivers are the ones without health problems.

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    :laughing3: :laughing-guffaw:

Decent companies don't get fined during an audit for falsification of logs like USX did .

5. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    I really have a hard time making any sense out of this post . Your sister knew well in advance her medical card was running out . Why did she let herself get stranded in MT ? I also find it hard to believe Washington was the only location where testing was available and they accepted liability allowing her 6 months to get tested once she notified them of the problem . If she notified them of a sleeping problem , was allowed to continue to drive and had a fatigue related accident attorneys would have a field day with the carrier .

6. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    Dangerous is dangerous and I do not choose to compartmentalize danger.

A drivers health is becoming a big issue with carriers, regulators and safety groups. That is a fact. And I am for keeping anyone out of a 80,000lb rig who may run over my family on the way to Disneyland for whatever reason health related or not .

We should not resort to the notion that economics and compassion supercedes the goal of seating safe CMV operators.

7. lostNfound

lostNfound Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Home of the Stampede
    I always thought it was just from when my brothers would hold a pillow over my face. :biggrin_2551:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.