Unprofessional truck driver and getting even

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Markk9, Sep 16, 2008.

1. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I'm a student and we were running down I-95 today around the speed limit in the right lane. The driver (another student) was coming up to an entrance ramp, and a 4 wheeler was coming up the ramp and merging into traffic. There was no traffic on our left and the student started to go left. Our instructor said "hold your lane." The student began to ease off the fuel and let the 4 wheeler in and the instructor said "keep your speed, make him work for it." I know that I'm only a student, but as long as I've been a 4 wheeler, I'd have went left to let a truck (or even another 4 wheeler) into traffic. I'm not going to argue with an instructor (I want to graduate), but since the left lane was clear, or even slowing a little was easy, that just seemed so wrong to me. What do you pro drivers think?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. finebabymakr

finebabymakr Light Load Member

That attitude is crappy! Road courtesy goes a long way so if you don't give it, don't expect to receive it. The driver of the fourwheeler may have had goodwill and possibly returned the favor further up the road. And if not to you then to the next driver. And in turn it will find it's way back. Now that you've seen firsthand the wrong way to handle that situation, do the right thing when it's you behind the wheel.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2008
    Lurchgs and LightBulb Thank this.
  4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    Your instructor is right and wrong. First off alot of common sense applies here. If you can move over with no problem then why not? This is where he is wrong. As far as the speed goes you should maintain your current speed. This is where he is right. If you were to slow down or speed up and the vehicle trying to merge happened to crash you'd be held liable. However, this is where the common sense comes in. If you see the vehicle speeding up and running out of room and you can slow down WITHOUT jeopardizing safety then you should be courteous and let the driver in. It sounds like your instructor needs a little safety training himself. It would be nice if he would explain and teach instead of being an "I'm bigger than you" idiot.

LightBulb and ParkRanger Thank this.
  5. Joe Fido

Joe Fido Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    It's too bad so many drivers are at each others throats. No respect for each other. Typical of us Americans trying to get ahead. But, don't you see what's happening? The trucking industry is broken. Too many drivers suffering mental exhaustion and more. The truck companies, shippers, brokers, agents etc, etc ..they don't care about you. you'er a statistic. They say how much they love you, (maybe they'er talking about what they're doing to your rear ends). Now, they've got you all fighting each other over they're cheap freight!. No matter how unhealthy the situation is, they don't care or have any respect for the drivers that haul their freight. Why should they care. You can always get another driver! I honestly believe they would hire chimps to drive if they could reach the peddals! Most drivers are making less than Federal min hourly wage. Until the conditions get better it won't change. Not until drivers unite and work together, not against each other. The Industry is broken .. it needs to be fixed!!

6. Cybergal

Cybergal Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2008
    AGREED! I have driven a semi numerous times through Chicago and I truly consider it a nightmare!

Courtesy isn't on anyone's mind in that area. I learned in a real quick hurry, if I wanted to survive, I had to be the one to give a little and that was fine with me.

I found truckers and 4 wheelers both driving like they were insane..but then when I think of it, maybe you have to be insane to drive Chicago way....:biggrin_25526:

7. ParkRanger

ParkRanger Light Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for that advice. Our instructor said he wanted to see the puff of exhaust when the 4 wheeler had to speed up when he realized how close we would be to him. It was light traffic and no one behind us, so slowing wouldn't have been a concern, but I understand the liability issue. Personally, I want to be one of those drivesr that get a million mile ring for no accidents, and now understand a lot better how to avoid accidents. I'm so much more of a cautious (cortious, defensive?) driver that my wife thinks there is something wrong with me. I follow a lot further, giving everyone more room, try to keep a couple of outs, try not to run beside someone, even if it means slowing down well below the speed limit (which is a lifestyle change for me), and even adjusted my mirrors in my personal car. Whew, driving a big truck and trailer is a lot more to think about than I knew, but I now have a much greater respect for all of you professional drivers. :biggrin_25514:

8. Highballin

Highballin Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    They are fun to watch when a 11/24.5 pops and their right on your bumper.:biggrin_2559::biggrin_2559:

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Actually it's easiest this way. That way you can just leave the dolly in front of the trailer, provided of course that the one you're leaving with is heavier than the tail you came in with.

Must have been a special blade. The biggest I've seen on those was 13' endbit to endbit. If it's a 6-way you can always turn it and make it 12'.

10. Highballin

Highballin Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Cleveland Texas
    But if you have Emergeny crews waiting there is no time to turn it.This was no 6 way but I had to measure blades because my yearly permit only covered up to 12 ft.End bits come in diff tip lenghts some are longer than others.

11. "LOST SOUL"

"LOST SOUL" Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Escanaba Michigan
    FED EX GUYS ARE THE WORST AS FAR AS COURTESY I GUESS THOSE HIGH UNION WAGES GIVE THOSE GUYS A BIG EGO TO GO WITH IT WHEN I SEE A FED EX I NEVER CUT HIM A BREAK CAUSE THEY NEVER DO 4 OTHER DRIVERS FEX EX & UPS GUYS HAVE FORGOTTEN WHAT BEING A FELLOW TRUCKER IS ALL ABOUT MAN YOU SHOULD SEE EM ON THE TURNPIKE IN A SNOW STORM BETWEEM THE OHIO LINE AND BREEZEWOOD MAN THEY FLY WITH THEM DOUBLES MY TEETH JUST CRINGE:biggrin_25515: I WILL EVEN GIVE SWIFT ONE UP ON EM IN MY BOOK ANYHOW

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.