Unsanitary Trucks issued to new drivers, what can you do?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Bozwik, Jun 23, 2022.

1. baha

baha Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2013
    ga
    Try to get some apple cider vinegar to mix with water or 409 cleaner, it will make a dent in the smell, always carry a cheap mattress cover a size to big for the truck in case you get moved to a bigger bunk later in the year that you signed up to work for co. give them a year of work and be careful about backing up get out of the truck and ck and keep your eyes on the rear of trailer for someone pulling in behind you as you walk back to your truck?

Boondock and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. okiedokie

okiedokie Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2011
    PNWET
    There was a hell of alot of things they didn't tell me when I hired on with this outfit.
    Slim-Warren-Web.jpg

4. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Good old fresh air will help a lot. Clean up the best you can, then air it out whenever you can.

I once got assigned a truck at Crete that was clean except for the unbelievable aroma of cigarettes. I wiped down the sleeper curtains, then as luck would have it, had to sit for a day shortly thereafter. That day was windy, and blowing across the truck. Rolled down both windows and by days end, the aroma was significantly reduced.

It wasn't summer…that also worked to my advantage. Good luck!

5. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Don't forget the power of sunshine too. lay the mattress and any other removeable items in the sun for a day and they will smell much better

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    This is why I say pay out of pocket for your license. The moment someone has leverage on you, you're screwed.

Personally I'd have picked a truck and told them I want it detailed to showroom condition or they can take the truck and shove it up their ###.

Last Call and Grouch Thank this.
  7. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    I do the same. After about 8 months they said they had a 2020 coming in and they would give me that one. Before it got in they said nope we are giving it to someone else. You get the 2023.
    I take care of the equipment because I spend most of my time working & living in it. But the company appreciates their equipment being treated well. After all it is a major investment for them.

8. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    A tip on cleaning.
    I've dealt with this before.
    Put a layer of paper towels over the crude and then soak in a strong cleaner. Let it sit keeping it wet. It'll come up like mud but it will clean it.
    Spraying it and wiping it will take forever and just move it around. I think I went through 4-5 bottles of cleaner and just as many rolls of paper towels to clean my current truck.

9. SmallPackage

SmallPackage Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2019
    Marion Texas
    It could be a character and “ownership” test by the owner or senior guys to see what you will do. Will you take ownership in the truck like it was your own and clean it up or will you flee because your “mommy doesn’t live there” to clean up after you so to speak.
    Like has been said above if management sees you handle it and take “ownership” of it instead of just being a “renter” better treatment and opportunity with the outfit will come to you.

A good old friend of mine who sold out and retired back in 2011 at one time in the 80’s had 5 trucks hauling out of Georgia-Pacific in Lowsyana and east Tejas. He would simply loosen and turn the gauges in the dash sideways one way or another or upside down to see if his new driver would say anything about it or just fix it himself without grief. That was one of his ways of knowing a little about the guy he hires. He told me he had one guy that just left them alone once for months so he always wondered if that guy even looked at them while he operated the truck in the first place. Lol

10. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Were you promised a new or newer Truck? An air gun kit helps. A power washers good on vinyl flooring, Carpet if it’s real bad. Tide works good on fabric and carpet. Sucking it up with a shop vac. Bobtail to a Quarter car wash if needed. It will dry, faster with A/C on. Real fast with floor heat on. It will dry. Has to be dry within 72 hrs to avoid musty smell. Lysol multi purpose. Big spray bottle. Along with a bunch of concentrated small refill bottles. Much cheaper, even mixing it 10x strength. Sanitize everything. Spraying, drying with towels. Lots of old bath towels, Lysol fresh linen scent aerosol spray once or twice a day afterwards, on the fabric upholstery. Get busy, make that Truck yours. Some Cheap floor mats and throw rugs. Soon you’ll have your own smells in it. Gotta have the towels, Lysol, and the Tide. Goop hand cleaner is good for grease. Also good as a Laundry pre treat for grease, with plenty Tide, for those nasty towels. Disposable hazmat suit, respirator, and rubber gloves optional.

Boondock Thanks this.
  11. nredfor88

nredfor88 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2019
    USA
    Adding to this list. Replace all cabin filters.

tscottme, wis bang, 48Packard and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.