Untarping the night before

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by IluvCATS, Feb 12, 2018.

1. DrFlush

DrFlush Road Train Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Upstate NY
    I wont untarp the night before but I do get up early and untarp that morning, I try to time it so I am just finishing when they open, and I take pictures before hand in case there is an questions. If its a big dollar load I will wait till I get the OK to pull them off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nikmirbre

nikmirbre Road Train Member

Jul 27, 2011
    High Point NC
    while I may not always remove my tarp the night before, I do always at least remove my bungees and have the tarp ready to pull off

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    What really gets me.. now I might upset some people saying this.

When I am with my flatbed untarping and so forth, I cannot help but witness identical product (Example Coils...) quietly rusting all over the laydown pad which is a loading and unloading area of a few acres in size.

Does that make sense?

I remember hauling rail axles out of PA near Slope that are beautiful and precision beyond compare when shipped. The customer railroad wants the #### thing at the wheel shop and have it down in the gravel to get to it when they proceed with the wheels and bearings for it.

The very best loading and unloading for example would be inside buildings such as Aluminum in Logan KY to Busch in Williamsburg VA.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  5. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    What are you going to do when the customer arrives in the morning & tells you, “that was supposed to be shipped to our other yard across town”?

6. IluvCATS

IluvCATS Road Train Member

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    good point. That happened to me already delivering lumber in Virginia.

6wheeler and x1Heavy Thank this.
  7. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    Depends on the load. Steel that can't get wet stays tarped, morning dew can cause rust just as easily as rain.

Some shippers demand tarps, but consignees don't care and don't want you cluttering up the lot trying to untarp. In general if it's something that will sit outside anyway or won't be damaged by the water, I ask the customer before I get there.

x1Heavy and IluvCATS Thank this.
  8. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    What did they say this morning?

IluvCATS and x1Heavy Thank this.
  9. IluvCATS

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    They didn’t even notice. I did take pictures before & after with their property in the pics. But nobody cared so I got lucky.

Untarpping yesterday before shutting down made today a cakewalk. I rolled the dice.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Mattflat362 Thanks this.
  10. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Do what the customer wants and is paying for. If you know that they are going to be unloading it and storing it outside and the tarps were to just keep road salt off it, then go ahead. But if it's oiled, plastic wrapped and can't get a speck of moisture on it? Leave those tarps on till they tell you to take them off.

You don't want to ruin a $50,000 load of steel just so you could save yourself 30 minutes the next day.

And are you logging on-duty, not driving while you are untarping the night before? Because the law says you should be. :p

Tb0n3 and IluvCATS Thank this.
  11. IluvCATS

Dec 1, 2014
    Seattle, WA
    I agree. This was a load of plastic trim for windows that is stored outside. And... yes it was logged on duty. Also a post trip. I always do the right thing. :)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.