Upgrading from Class B to Class A

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by RollerDewd, May 14, 2024.

1. RollerDewd

RollerDewd Bobtail Member

May 14, 2024
    Back in 2008 I have passed and maintained a Class B CDL using a manual box truck. I'm looking to upgrade to Class A, however the semi tractor my company leases is an automatic. If I pass this test, will I be restricted to automatic transmissions? or will my passing in a manual truck before carry on to my upgrade?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DixonM

DixonM Light Load Member

May 22, 2022
    I did this a couple years ago and had to re test in a stick to keep the auto restriction off licence.

RollerDewd and snowmantrucking101 Thank this.
  4. snowmantrucking101

snowmantrucking101 Heavy Load Member

Mar 8, 2017
    Restricted....

RollerDewd Thanks this.
  5. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    I know someone who took their test at prime in an automatic and never drove a manual but didnt get an automatic restriction

But yea it should be restricted

RollerDewd Thanks this.
  6. RollerDewd

RollerDewd Bobtail Member

May 14, 2024
    I'm a little baffled on that one, as I would understand the restriction for that.

I knew it would be a long shot to ask, just based off passing in a straight truck with a manual before. I could see the argument both ways, but I will go rent a tractor with a manual transmission for this test.

7. JSanborn103

JSanborn103 Medium Load Member

Jan 20, 2021
    Yea definitely rent a manual tractor. You dont want to end up having to test again just to get an auto restriction removed.

RollerDewd Thanks this.
  8. PATruckie

PATruckie Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    You should NOT end up with a manual restriction on your license if you test class A in an automatic. You can actually have that restriction removed from an A license by testing in a straight truck or a tractor without a trailer. It will, however, involve a pretrip and a road test to remove an existing restriction. Also, about the guy who tested in an automatic but didn't end up with a restriction probably tested 5 years ago or more before the restrictions came about. Or somebody simply forgot to add it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.