Upgrading old Eaton auto shift 10 speed.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by AtomicSpud, Apr 23, 2024.

1. AtomicSpud

AtomicSpud Bobtail Member

May 18, 2012
    So I am considering an older pre emissions truck that has a c15 Cat engine and a Eaton 10 speed Auto shift. I need an automatic due to a accessibility issue, but the truck might have an older 3 pedal system.
    Would it be possible to upgrade the transmission with a newer 2 pedal automatic from Eaton or another manufacturer? Cost is not an issue for me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JB7

JB7 Medium Load Member

Dec 13, 2022
    I would call Eaton and ask for transmission tech support. They should be able to tell you if what you want to do is possible and what is needed.

ROADRANGER HELP LINE: 1-800-826-4357
    UltraShift PLUS and SmartAdvantage 2,3

upload_2024-4-23_9-58-33.png

AtomicSpud Thanks this.
  4. Arky

Arky Heavy Load Member

Jun 7, 2013
    I've heard of people not being able to get replacement transmission ecm for the older autos. Might make sure that you can get parts as well

AtomicSpud Thanks this.
  5. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I know this sounds like a silly question, what do you mean by a ‘3 pedal’ and a ‘2 pedal’?

6. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    First generation autoshifts had a clutch pedal. Driver used the clutch only when starting and stopping. Once moving the transmission floated the gears. Newer autoshifts use an actuator to operate the clutch.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    the 1st gen autoshift use 3 pedals (clutch, brake, fuel) the clutch pedal is required to start, stop, go into drive and reverse ONLY.

Gen 2 autoshift only had 2 pedals (brake, fuel) and yes the gen 2 was installed on c15 up to 2007 (a friend had one on his 2006 freightliner with a c15 acer)

To the OP yes you can change to the gen 2. The only main difference between gen 1 & gen 2 is
    A: clutch assembly and bellhousing. Gen 1 uses a standard clutch and gen 2 uses a centrifugal clutch.. think go-cart.
    B: programming. Your trucks ECM already has autoshift programming so it will just need upgraded programming for the newer gen 2 (dm2) Trans. Y9u will need to talk to then about how you want it programmed. This is not 1 program fits all...! Economy (slow shift ever gear 1-10) skip shift, your light do you really need 1,2,3,4,5, or just 3,5 (then trams will know if it can do it) aggressive when your heavy (the Trans will know) do you want slow (standard) shifts or do you want the Trans to burp the Jake's to drop the rpm's faster for a faster shift.. these are setting you can have changed.
    C:clutch gen 1 uses the same clutch as all standard Trans around $1,700
    Gen 2 (dm2) clutch is around $2,700
    Gen 3 "advance" went back to the standard $1,700 clutch.
    D: in cab shift controls, what you have now gen1 controls may or MAY NOT work with the gen 2 or three. Eaton makes controls made specifically for each brand of truck.. some are dash mounted push buttons, some are (volvo) buttons mounted in a box on the side of the seat, some are (freightliner) have a paddle on the steering column, my prostar has the buttons mounted next to the cup holder by my knee AND a secondly set (upshift, downshift, manual) in the steering wheel... price range $800 - $1,500

You will need to call eaton customer service to get the details and they can tell you exactly what you can change to and can give you all the part numbers (parts and programming) to do the change..

You may be able to upgrade to the Eaton gen 3 "advanced" if you can I would. It has some real advantages over the gen 2 (dm2). Default start drive is 2nd gear but you can change to 1st or 3rd any time you want. It has creeper mode where you can have it in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and bump the throttle to 800rpm then lift and the truck will go back to idle but keep the clutch engaged their by creeping along at 3-5 mph (real handy in traffic) also has auto cost mode. What this does is when your using you cc and you start to crest a hill (big or small) it you go over your cc setting the clutch will disengage and let the engine drop to idle speed and let the truck roll up to 3-5 mph over your cc setting then re-engage the clutch so the engine and Jake's can hold your speed back... most of the time you'll never know it unless you look down and see the gear indicator flashing or see the rpm's at idle... this does save you some on fuel.

BoxCarKidd and prostartom Thank this.
  8. Lazer

Lazer Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2017
    That’s what I thought, but figured best to ask.
    Just always heard it referred to as an ‘auto shift with a clutch. Drove plenty of auto shifts without the clutch. Me personally prefer a manual.

9. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    There is a guy in Chicago who pairs Volvo ishifts with 12.7 Detroit. I guess anything is possible if money is not an issue

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.