UPS/Costco vs USPS TTO

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by archangelic peon, Dec 31, 2022.

1. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    I'm in a mid sized hub primarily focused on final delivery that will soon have less hub work due to a larger hub being automated & will take back a chunk of the work they diverted to our hub while the upgrade is in progress.

They don't follow the contract, insisting you must do package delivery for minimum 1 yr before even being able to bid for feeder position.

Have already filed grievances, Union in the south is really weak & full of bendovers, hasn't changed anything.

It's the good ol boy outfit out here & if they don't like you for following/enforcing the contract, you get cut hours, watched constantly, etc.

I am constantly notifying union Steward & backup feeder drivers that wish about outside contractors pulling Union freight outside peak past 30 days as per contract regulations, lots of feeder guys getting paid stolen work grievances & they don't like me for it too much.

I already have my CDL & 7yrs full time OTR experience, doesn't matter in this environment - everything is bid as per contract as it should be.

Problem is we only have around 110ish feeder drivers & 4 centers of package drivers that want to go feeder, so the bid list is 7+ pgs. long for feeder when it goes up, mostly full time.

I did package for 1.5yrs at previous center before transferring here & hate 90% of it, wife says I talk in sleep about packages & commit times like I'm having a nightmare.

Had to start all over on seniority & all my package driving doesn't count for anything - would have to do integrad all over again if I wanted to drive again.

I can't survive on just $16.65/hr for being a PT yard shifter in a major city even though I get 30+hrs outside peak & OT after 5 - just this peak I was doing 60 & 70hr weeks to make less then I would a normal local CDL job like USPS & Costco paid at around $30/hr.

Not complaining, this is what it is & can't be changed, just looking for alternatives that would be beneficial to long term success.

UPS insurance is great & no premiums so have to stay here for now anyway, like shifting better then driving anyway - bothe Costco & USPS have their $30/hr truck drivers do yard work so I can get paid a lot more to do the same work.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. archangelic peon

archangelic peon Medium Load Member

Dec 15, 2011
    It is gravy when you get there, I got to work as a seasonal casual feeder driver for 1.5 months awhile back after I came off of OTR for family.

Only things bad is the garbage auto transmissions that they spec on the Kenworth 680's, the dual drives with only front one driven, & the extra long natural gas frames - terrible trucks for tight yard maneuvers in anything other then smooth clean concrete/asphalt.

The 1.8million mile single screw 10speed international was wayyy better at everything except launching my head into the ceiling on bridge transitions/bumps.

Sadly, I don't live in all the areas they are constantly hiring off the street - best CDL job out there.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  4. SmoothBore

SmoothBore Medium Load Member

Jun 8, 2011
    The Desert
    The yard work is fairly high seniority where I’m at so you don’t have to worry about being stuck driving a yard goat around. I hate that thing!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.