UPS Feeder Driver

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Midwesttrucker, Jun 20, 2014.

1. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    It depends on the terminal. Some terminals have an agreement with the Union that seasonal can be your foot in the door, and then you'll be hired. Other terminals can only hire for seasonal, and then let the drivers go once peak season is over.

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
  4. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    What city are you in or near? Many hubs have huge expansion plans and are currently hiring full time drivers off the street. You still have to work your way up the seniority and wage progression ladder, but when they add that many positions you will get a schedule sooner. Louisville for example will need 300 drivers to fully staff the new ground hub. Lexington is supposed to add many jobs. It is a different time in many parts of the country due to the growth of internet purchases. When I was hired in 2002 you had to work Peak and hope to get hired full time later. Now it is not like that in some parts of the country. That said if you like your job and are making $100,000 a year I wouldn’t quit to go to UPS. Will that eventual $30,000-$50,000 in extra money be worth it to you? If it is then go for it because you can’t beat their benefits, pension and top pay. As much as I don’t want to work for UPS again, they are a great company and I still own their stock. If you desire more in life than strictly top money, stay with something you know and like. Just my opinion and it is worth exactly what you paid for it.

5. Fuelinmyveins

Fuelinmyveins Medium Load Member

Nov 13, 2017
    PA
    I'm located in Northeast Pa. Close to Wilkes Barre, Scranton and Allentown.

I started at FXF 8 months ago so I don't have much seniority here yet. Not even close to $100k a year yet either. There is at least 7 drivers under me now. I know for a fact that Feeders have slightly higher top pay rate than us and the benefits are much better.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  6. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    I am not familiar with their growth in that area. If you are young, can handle all shifts for many years, show up to work most days on time and sober, do as you are asked to do at a reasonable pace you won’t have any trouble working for UPS. Most of the people I know who got fired or disciplined deserved it. You probably will be glad you made the move in a few years. But if you really like your current job, who knows if you should leave. I went there because my former company was closing our plant and I had no choice. I was 36 at the time so a good schedule for me was too far in the future and I decided after 10 years to look elsewhere.

Fuelinmyveins Thanks this.
  7. De Trucker

De Trucker Medium Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Keep checking the UPS careers page for openings. You can get lucky and find an opening for a full time permanent position. It is possible, this is how I was hired. I never worked seasonal, not for a day. I got hired on full time right from off the street.
    But, if you have somewhat large hubs around you, go for a seasonal position. If you work hard you have a good chance of getting hired permanently.

Top pay for Feeders is more than slightly higher than FXF.
    This new contract top pay is around $37-37.45 an hour. .86 a mile. Time and a half for Saturday and double time for Sundays. And double time after 60 hours for some areas.
    But by the time you go through progression top pay will be about $40-41 an hour. 94 a mile.

Also...FXF will give raises but also increase insurance costs or lower coverage to negate the raise. Watch out for some of their smoke and mirrors tricks.

Good luck!

8. Midwesttrucker

Midwesttrucker Light Load Member

Oct 9, 2012
    midwestern state
    I was hired directly off the street as well. All I can say is this. Apply for the seasonal position and go to the interview. When your interviewing just tell them you would prefer full time work as opposed to seasonal due to the fact you have experience with doubles (if your doing them at FXF). If you have 5 years of safe driving you can pull triples. They should be all over you for that type of experience. Thats how I did it when I got hired.

9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    It also depends on the terminal's needs at that time, so don't take it personally if this tactic doesn't work. You might be the right guy at the wrong time. That was my experience, unfortunately.

10. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    No regrets, though. I'm in, and I'm still young enough to enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Midwesttrucker and Fuelinmyveins Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.