UPS gettin rid of the doubles and triples?

Discussion in 'UPS/UPSF' started by ACH1130, Mar 12, 2011.

1. justa-driver

justa-driver Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2011
    il
    Just finshed "feeder training" for ups....out of two weeks about 95% was pulling doubles.....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FoodStamp

FoodStamp Bobtail Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Detroit, MI
    I mainly drive from;
    Salt Lake City to Reno
    Salt Lake City to Denver
    Salt Lake City to Las Vegas
    Salt Lake City to Boise

About 95% of UPS trucks I've seen on the interstate are pulling doubles or triples (mostly triples). I fail to see any logic of not pulling triples if the state you are driving in allows it. It's simply more efficient.

Same goes for FedEx and quite a few other companies I see out regularly.

4. Freebird135

Freebird135 Road Train Member

May 7, 2009
    In the air conditioning
    dont know if i told you but i went back to the city

i was working about 3 days a month when i made the switch back....that was about 6 weeks ago and the guy that was 2 spots above me told me the other night hes lucky to work 1 day a week

but there are literally atleast 6 or 7 contractor trucks (CRST, us express, jnj and owner operators) in our yard every night pulling loads

5. Feeder guy

Feeder guy Bobtail Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    In NYC and LI we pull tons of doubles (mostly 2 pups). 53' trailers are illegal in NYC so we pull a lot of 45 and 48's and use the 53's on Long Island. Triples are illegal in NY.

6. defencerulez

defencerulez Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2010
    In between the LAKES!
    They will never get rid of doubles and triples because for some smaller rural centers, only 28" trailer will fit... I can haul a set and serve 2 rural centers in the same trip. So the system has been designated to run with 28"... But for some bigger hubs and linehaul interhub traffic, to save some trouble they'll just use 53" (But two 28" will still fit more parcels than a single 53", and it can be loaded side by side simultaneously then couple together for the really urgent stuff, same goes for the offloading) In Ontario, now that it is allowed... UPS is playing with double 53"...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  7. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    My brother in law works for the company that manufacturers the dollys for UPS and others. (Silver Eagle Mfg). He says they're right in the middle of a pretty good size order for more tow dollys for UPS.
    So I doubt they're discontinuing the use of double and triples.

8. vinsanity

vinsanity Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2009
    South Florida
    Just curious because of your statement about the contractors (I work for one of them). Are there UPS company drivers that do long haul OTR? All the loads I pull out of UPS are hot loads that require a team. For instance, the last UPS load I hauled was from Columbus, OH to Laredo, TX. We made it there with 2 hours to spare.

9. EggoTrucker

EggoTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Naw they are not Long haul all of them are relayed

10. US MARINE

US MARINE Heavy Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    JnJ is real big out of Memphis I've saw allot of those

11. JediTrucker

JediTrucker Light Load Member

Feb 9, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    If you're talking about UPSF, yes they do longer runs. I know the Harrisburg, PA terminal has sleeper team runs that go as far out as Amarillo, TX. I'm pretty sure that's the longest run they have out of there, although there may be one Salt Lake City run. Majority of the runs are solo drivers, out and back in one shift. I'm not sure how many terminals do team runs.

I spent the last week in the Harrisburg terminal and saw contract carriers and owner ops coming and going all week long.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.