US-50 in Indiana

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Wingnut1, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Wingnut1

Wingnut1 Light Load Member

Jul 3, 2012
    The Mitten
    I know this is a long shot but I can't ever seem to raise anyone local on the radio. I'm wondering about a very specific stretch of US-50 between Bedford and Brownstown and how well they maintain it in the winter. I'm thru there once a week and usually in the wee hours of the morning. The road has some pretty tight twisties and hills and don't need to be rolling over the guard rail due to ice. Can't take another route because there really isn't one, short of going 100+ miles out of route.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ReeferOhio

ReeferOhio Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Ohio
    If you travel the road as often as you claim then driving in the winter should be no issue. All snow and Ice storms are different just use your judgement based on your knowledge of the route. As we all do with trucking. US 50 is a fairly heavy for truck traffic, I used to take it all the time from Cincinnati to Seymour with steel. If it's not worth it to you or unsafe, then part the truck till it is. That's what i do.

sevenmph and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  4. truckdriver31

truckdriver31 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    if you travel in indiana during winter months. then us 50 won't be a issue

5. sevenmph

sevenmph Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Pinellas county Florida
    I believe Bedford is in Lawrence county, and Brownstown is in Jackson county.
    Each county has it's own plan for US hiways. So one stretch might be better than the other. Usually you can find their treatment and plowing plan online.

Wingnut1 and DoubleO7 Thank this.
  6. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Correct on counties.

sevenmph Thanks this.
  7. mega747400

mega747400 Bobtail Member

Oct 24, 2017
    southern,indiana
    i lived in Seymour, now in north Vernon INDOT is on the snow and ice before it even gets here 50 is pretty well maintained but if you run to Cincinnati you will have to deal with 2 roundabouts they are building to bypass north Vernon completely

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.