US Xpress Keeps Your Bonus Money When You Quit

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Vito, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    As I've reported in another thread, in my US Xpress review, I warned all US Xpress drivers that the bonus program for staying out 30 days or more (to earn an extra .03 CPM for every mile you've run) was flawed. If you travel within 50 miles of your home while out for the 30+ days, the computer flags it, and unless your fleet manager manually corrects this (built in) flaw, when you get your paycheck you will not see the bonus money attached! But your FM does not perform this function unless YOU remember to call him and bug him about fixing it. As I've said numerous times on this forum, US Xpress LOOKS FOR WAYS NOT TO PAY THEIR DRIVERS!!

The other thread where this is discussed is here: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...eads/us-xpress-review-otr-perspective.303424/

Well it's worse than everything I've mentioned so far, above. The other day a friend of mine called me. He's an ex USX driver as well, but he just quit after running teams. He had stayed out 3+ months with his partner, and quit just before Christmas. So when he quit, USX owed him the extra .03 CPM for every mile he ran for the 3+ months out. It amounts to $1500 dollars! His truck was turned into a terminal (Shippensburg), was clean, no damage. And he had called his FM a few days before he had gone home, to make sure the computer didn't flag him as going home during his time out (I had warned him about this). Well, the dirty crooks kept his bonus pay!

When he called Payroll, they told him to call his FM. When he called his old FM, the FM said that in order for my friend to earn his bonus pay, he'd have to "come back to US Xpress and pull a few loads before the bonus pay would kick in."! Do you believe this crap? Do you believe how crooked these dirty ######## are? This is THEFT, stealing, plain and simple. My friend earned his bonus money fair and square, but because he quit, the greedy ######## kept it!

And one more thing...

My old trainer for Arnold, who went to USX as well when we got bought out, quit USX over the summer. He was with them for 1 year, 3 days at the time before he quit. So he qualified for his 1 years longevity pay, which amounted to $250. Well guess what? They kept his bonus pay as well. They told him that he would have had to have driven another month with them, a whole month, "before the bonus pay kicks in on your paycheck." So they make you drive for 13 months before they pay you your bonus for driving for them for 12 months! Like I keep saying, US Xpress is greedy, and THEY LOOK FOR WAYS NOT TO PAY THEIR DRIVERS!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    that don't surprise me one bit I work for the immediate years and years ago and they were like that back then... They have always been crooks and always will that's why I don't recommend anybody go drive for them thieves... Not to mention a bunch of lying two faced backstabbing fools They are too

dog-c and Vito Thank this.
  4. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    Yup, but the thing is, they TALK a good game. That's what crooks are good at, after all!

drvrtech77 Thanks this.
  5. truckthatpassesyouby

truckthatpassesyouby Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2015
  6. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    Not to defend US Express, but most companies require the employee to still be employed when bonus checks are distributed. That is why they delay the payment of the bonus, sometimes up to six weeks for the previous quarter. That way, if the employee leaves before the checks are cut, they do not receive it.

dog-c and Sneakerfix Thank this.
  7. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    the rule is " longevity pay" is paid 2 weeks AFTER you qualify for it and you must be a active driver at that time.... your friend should have stayed 10 more days and he would have got it just like you SHOULD have.......

8. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    US Xpress tried to touch my no no area.

9. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    True. This is why many companies have gone from a straight mileage pay to a mileage/bonus system. This does 2 things
    #1 it keep the driver motivated to NOT QUIT
    #2 it saves the carriers money and/or provides a means to recoup truck recovery and cleanup costs and re-hire costs.

If you was the carrier and in the "money side", you'd be doing the same thing and don't act like you wouldn't, especially after dealing with all the crap drivers will force the carrier to deal with upon their untimely exit.

And no, "leaving on good terms" is not reason to give up bonus money (which essentially is longevity money, and which the driver decided was not worth it when they decided to leave)

Thats; why they call it "bonus" money and not earned wages. You are not entitled to any "bonus money" wether it be performance bonus or Christmas bonus, or safety bonus. It's just business. So ..... get over it. You're out. Isn't it worth losing the money since they were such a horrible company?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  10. tow614

tow614 Road Train Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I worked for USX sister company..covenant..14 years ago....they still owe me $800 they shorted me..

11. fat trucker

fat trucker Light Load Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Warren, Ohio
    bigjoel is 100% correct, I've yet to see a company that pays a bonus after you quit. I'm sure it's in your company handbook

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.