US Xpress Review OTR Perspective

Discussion in 'US Xpress' started by Vito, Dec 30, 2015.

1. finbyrd

finbyrd Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2015
    I've been sucked into the Walmart account to help out a handful of times and absolutely hated it. If Meijer is anything like Walmart that's a hard pass on that one too.

I've thought about dedicated but I worry I would bored too easily. I'm a "wandering soul" so otr fits me best because I'm always heading somewhere different, always hauling something different, always seeing different people. And when I do have repeats they're far enough apart that it's just cool that I'm able to remember where I'm going.

For example I love doing the detroit to laredo run. I can usually get it when I'm coming off home time so about once a month or so. I love the drive down there and I love the people at the laredo terminal. But if I were to do that all the time pretty soon I'd find reasons not to like it so much. The people would start to annoy me. But because I don't I get to keep the fondness I have for the place.

I worry that with a dedicated account I would lose all that. Be stuck in a few states. See the same people, same places.

Vito Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gizmo2092

gizmo2092 Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2016
    In really not sure what happened to USX. I started with them, done my 150 hours in a truck with a trainer....was very well trained, my trainer was very respective and made sure I was properly trained. After testing out, I received my first tractor which for being used was in very good shape. It was checked out by the shop and cleared to roll. I was also told by my recruiter that solos do NOT run 48 states, depending where you live, you either run east or west of I35. I never had an issue with the company when I was there. The pay was great, I was ALWAYS home when I requested and as long as I was willing to roll, I stayed loaded. But, not every company is for every driver. After my experience with them for 10 yrs, id GLADLY go back

2duisperyear and Vito Thank this.
  4. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    What happened to them is they got very greedy. They are taking money out of the drivers pockets, money the drivers have earned. I talk about it on this thread, with the 30+ day out bonus program.

It's why they are closing shops. It's why they waited so long to buy new trailers. It's why they took away the idle on all the trucks (without telling the driver by the way). It's why they do everything they do: for the almighty dollar. They don't give a rats ### about the driver!

Heck, after I quit, they didn't even call me to find out why. I drove for them for 1.5 years (actually more since I was with Arnold for 2 years prior). All the drivers are to them is meat in the seat, they are just better at BS'ing drivers than some of the horrible companies out there, making drivers think that US Xpress cares, but they don't.

dog-c Thanks this.
  5. aargilb

aargilb Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Vito you have nailed the USX OTR solo experience. I spent 5 months running solo OTR, December 2014 to the end of April 2015( I am still with USX now running team). They basically kept me in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic like you. Same deal with a lot of Hagerstown Tractor Supply. I have never been more frustrated driving a truck. It was a bad joke.

Here is the deal. If they(USX) are going to put drivers primarily in the Northeast and Mid Atlantic....they need to pay them that way. I could go to a company like Roehl and get 52 cents per mile to run the Northeast instead of the 43 cents USX was paying me. USX is doing a disservice to their drivers by hiring them as OTR and then keeping them regional. USX is making out big time $$$ wise by doing this. It is just a big lie IMO.

I switched to team driving and it got better though things still get screwed up and we too have to deal with the crappy trailers. Bottom line is this company doesn't have their stuff together. I too will soon be leaving.

Vito, dog-c and finbyrd Thank this.
  6. doglover44

doglover44 Light Load Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Ohio
    I am looking at the dedicated accounts at USX I dont mind same stops/runs every day better for me that way

7. 2duisperyear

2duisperyear Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Okland Co , Mi
    Dedicated consistant miles, some guys are home daily and 2 days off

8. 2duisperyear

2duisperyear Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Okland Co , Mi
    Dedicated and Trainer is way to go

Vito Thanks this.
  9. dog-c

dog-c Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    New York, NY
    I thought swift had a bad trailer fleet but was I wrong when I saw USX trailers....

Vito and finbyrd Thank this.
  10. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    I nailed it on the head? No, YOU nailed it on the head. LOL. I am in 100% agreement with you. You could probably find hundreds of drivers who share the same perspective, and share the same experiences as we have. We can't all be "sour grapes" or "liars" or whatever. No, we are professional drivers who are/were not treated professionally and not paid what we gave to this company.

About team. Yes, it is better somewhat. But I know teams that have gotten out of teaming for the same reasons: short mileage and crappy trailers (when you can find them). One guy is becoming a trainer, the other simply quit. So teaming is not the big draw they make it out to be, with all their fancy recruitment signs they have hanging up in Springfield and the other terminals.

finbyrd Thanks this.
  11. Vito

Vito Heavy Load Member

Jun 4, 2012
    North Carolina
    At least with dedicated, you won't have to worry about finding trailers. And if the money is good enough for you, you don't have to worry about the regional thing, or short runs the OTR drivers get. You may just wind up very happy, like many of the Walmart dedicated drivers I've met. And I've been to about 5 different Walmart dedicated DC's and the drivers seem to not complain.

finbyrd Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.